• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Severe Heavy rain / flash flooding, 12/26/18-1/2/19

cyclogent

Reaction score
Might as well fire up a thread, as we have several rounds of heavy rain coming up in the next week. The latest WPC 7 day QPF shows a huge area of 3+ inches of precip covering most of the Southeast, with an axis of 5+ inches along the entire I-59 corridor from New Orleans to Chattanooga. Flood watches already up parts of LA, MS, AL, GA, TN, SC, NA, and VA. Quite possibly the wettest 7 day period we will see all winter.

p168i.gif

Parts of KY and WV also under a flood watch, as well as 1 county in the western panhandle of FL, bringing the total to 11 states. Welcome to the party.

Screenshot_20181227-153746.png
Strong storms seems possible to with 30-40kt of bulk shear, 150-250 m2/s2 of 0-3km helicity and 500-700 jkg of mlcape, also appears to be some dry air aloft which would aid in downdrafts and plus 500-700 jkg of downdraft Cape

At least we're managing to get a little bit of thunder and lightning out of this.

It makes the stuff more interesting.

Not part of the Southeast of course, but as of today, flood watches have been added for parts of MD, DE, PA, and NJ, bringing the total up to 15 states with flood watches in effect at the same time.

if-it-doesnt-iaf7hh.jpg

The two pws closest to my new house on the East side of Cleveland are reporting 1.58" and 1.7" of rain since about 5pm.

Back