• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Grading the 1st Half of Winter

Easily an +A here. 13" in December and the ice storm over the weekend. As said above, it will remain an A for me regardless of what happens the rest of the way. I hope the rest of you guys can say the same when the winter is over.

B-, early season cold outbreak and winter storm was amazing. I will upgrade it to an A if I can get a snowstorm or another sleet storm and if February doesnt torch.

B+ ... due to the December snowstorm (nothing beats Christmas lights with a deep blanket of snow). A .... if we can pull off another 6"+ storm with a week of cold behind it. A+ ... if we can get a snowstorm on top of snow cover from the previous storm.

D is a fair grade so far. The cold rain was just awful but at least we keep seeing gulf moisture and now arctic air on the way. I fully expect this grade to go way up by March.

Solid C. It’s been cold and it’s been warm with 6 different days of flurries, ZR and most recently sleet. We rarely have accumulating snow before January 15th so there’s no reason to grade lower then a c when I’ve seen more winter weather then usual by now. If December wasn’t so warm I’d have graded it a B.

Big time F, KATL has been below freezing five times so far this meteorological winter season, 9 if you count November, which is absolutely abysmal. December was 4 degrees above average, which is pretty normal these days. January is 6 above average thus far, and is likely to stay at least 4 or 5 above average with temps forecasted the next 5 days. Grading the winter season based on snowfall outside the mountains isn't really my thing since none of these areas average anything significant in a season, I base it more on seasonal forecasts and departure from average temperatures.

Back