• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Grading the 1st Half of Winter

Reaction score
Today is the 45th day of meteorological winter and there are 45 days left. Therefore, today marks the halfway point of meteorological winter. Post your thoughts on the first half of winter and give your grade ranging from A to F.

C. It's not an F because we had a cold start to December and 2 close threats that produced a little sleet on Saturday. However it's not an A because the first event was even more frustrating being so close and having an advisory. Also because of the warmth we have had. Hoping I can rate the winter as a whole an A or B+ by March.

Well we had a super early 3 inch storm (Dec), so that was nice, but other than that its been largely either warmer than average or cold rain. C so far, but I'm thinking we'll get more.

Solid D. We've wasted half of the winter (areas that didn't get in on the fluke December storm). But even since that storm, it's been a load of crap. The second half isn't starting off well. January will probably be completely gone before any type of winter storm pattern sets in. There's plenty of reason to be hopeful, given the continued good looks in the 10 day + time frame. But grading only on what we've had and what looks likely for the next 7 days, we're sitting at a D so far.

D for north Alabama IMO. Below average temperatures and excessive precipitation would lead one to believe someone in the area would cash in. But we’re pros at steady rain and 41 degrees here. At least it hasn’t been miserably cold and sunny. That’s always a slap in the face

Solid D.

Can't say F because I have seen some snow, but the grade comes because of all the Rain. If it is warm, it's fine if it is sunny. But besides a few warm days, it has been cool and rainy almost every weekend. I hate that.

F...Early nickel and dime event followed by cutters
If I could grade it lower I would because of the 32.1 degree rain I just received this weekend

Still time to get that grade up to an A if I can get a 8”+ event followed by an arctic outbreak

D-. Outside of the early December winterstorm in most of North Carolina and upstate South Carolina, DEC/Early Jan has sucked and no real chances for winter weather. I do expect late Jan/Feb to be the complete opposite of Mid/late Dec and early Jan with colder to way colder than average with a several opportunities for winter storms due to the SSW,the MJO possibly becoming favorable again become the month ends,the Active Southern Jet Stream,and much better teleconnections.

Only because the one storm in early December gave me close to 10 inches of snow.

tenor.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
B+. Got around 8 inches from the early December storm. Persistent mild temperatures (we haven't even had a low below 20 yet) and getting the dreaded 33 degree rain from the last storm prevents me from giving an A.

Honestly for me D- (only not an F because I did atleast see stuff fall)

I received abt .5 inches of sleet/snow that lasted abt an hour in December. And 30 minutes away was 6+ of powder. I was literally the only person of my friends not posting heavy snow pics on my Facebook feed haha

So that was a heartbreaker.

Since then, nothing. We had the long boring stretch.

When compared to the excitement and outlooks for this winter so far it’s abysmal for my area. Of course it only takes one storm to change the tune :D:D

For me it's very close to if not an F. My lowest high/low has only been 38.6/23.1, which is not very cold and so far I have not seen a sleet pellet or flake of snow (there might have been some while I was sleeping) and it's mid January, so here on out it couldn't get any worse for my area. However, after the 8-8.5" on December 8-9, 2017 (the most enjoyable snowstorm I've ever seen); I'm thinking it's payback.

SE of Raleigh here. I'm saying D. I missed the December storm but my work in Durham received 9 inches so I guess atleast I saw snow in my immediate area. As frustrating as that is. Sick of cold rain. I honestly just want it to dry out, watching my old area in the MA pile it up, also salts the wounds.

D - only because I saw snow falling when driving in Tennessee on Nov. 14, if not it would be an F. Since then, it has just been rain, more rain, and even more rain. Seeing where I used to live in NC (High Point) hit the jackpot in Dec. made me a bit jealous., but at least I don't live in Florida anymore.

Still a long way to go though, especially when we seem to get most of our snow it seems in mid January and February anyway.

Back