• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Learning Global Warming facts and fiction

Status
Not open for further replies.
Forget gas, sign up for a monthly battery subscription.

Im just curious if we all drive enough ev cars, will we get to see snow again. I'm no Godfather, but I can get some people to drive them if it makes up the difference.

I have never contributed to this thread. Simply put, I try to avoid the arguments. Is the globe warming ... yes. Have we as humans caused problems for the environment? Again, yes. Should we do what we can to try to take care of the planet? Yes. Are humans the cause of this global warming? In my opinion ... debatable. And I am not trying to debate anyone on it ... there are folks on both sides of the issue smarter than me. However, this article was on the front page of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution website today:

Basically, this article refers to the recent NOAA projections for winter ... stuff we post here all the time.

This is the 3rd paragraph after a brief introduction:

The expected warmth reflects the influence of human-caused climate change, which is raising the odds for above-normal temperatures around the world, experts say.

Lines like that, stated as fact, irritate me. Is it accurate? Maybe. Is it a proven fact? No.

The AJC has a pay wall ... but that article was made available as a "public service."

I have probably said too much. The article just hit me the wrong way.

I have never contributed to this thread. Simply put, I try to avoid the arguments. Is the globe warming ... yes. Have we as humans caused problems for the environment? Again, yes. Should we do what we can to try to take care of the planet? Yes. Are humans the cause of this global warming? In my opinion ... debatable. And I am not trying to debate anyone on it ... there are folks on both sides of the issue smarter than me. However, this article was on the front page of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution website today:

Basically, this article refers to the recent NOAA projections for winter ... stuff we post here all the time.

This is the 3rd paragraph after a brief introduction:

The expected warmth reflects the influence of human-caused climate change, which is raising the odds for above-normal temperatures around the world, experts say.

Lines like that, stated as fact, irritate me. Is it accurate? Maybe. Is it a proven fact? No.

The AJC has a pay wall ... but that article was made available as a "public service."

I have probably said too much. The article just hit me the wrong way.
Some things Id like to know are if urban heat island warmth is cumulative, or is there a cap on how much heat it can gather. For instance, I can leave Raleigh with a temp of 70, but it decreases rapidly to 64 just outside the city.

Now, can that heat grow year after year or is there simply a max that it can get and go no further, and where is that max. Also, does it lead to warming outside of the area?

We have created warmer areas, and thus maybe a warmer climate, but is there a point that no matter what we do it just can't get any warmer? I'd like to think we can only do so much at creating warmth where we simply can't make it hotter.

Hopefully we are there now. Sorry I know this isnt relative to your post it just got me thinking.

Wen global warming? Greenland is gonna tip over I tell ya....

SMB_curves_LA_EN_20221114-1.png

Some things Id like to know are if urban heat island warmth is cumulative, or is there a cap on how much heat it can gather. For instance, I can leave Raleigh with a temp of 70, but it decreases rapidly to 64 just outside the city.

Now, can that heat grow year after year or is there simply a max that it can get and go no further, and where is that max. Also, does it lead to warming outside of the area?

We have created warmer areas, and thus maybe a warmer climate, but is there a point that no matter what we do it just can't get any warmer? I'd like to think we can only do so much at creating warmth where we simply can't make it hotter.

Hopefully we are there now. Sorry I know this isnt relative to your post it just got me thinking.
I imagine if you were to urbanize large swaths of land in the mid-latitudes you would eventually create deserts. Would it not be funny if the scientists were completely wrong and the "fix" to global warming is to remove all of the concrete, asphalt and brick from the surface of our planet? I guess you could paint it all white. In general, though, that heat that is retained in the cities will radiate out at night. It gets removed rather quickly under a strong northwest flow cold front or easterly wedge, for instance, in Atlanta. The heat island works best under clear skies and calm winds.

Revealing? All political. Hardly addresses the real science except doing the same political propaganda as the “leftists”.

Addressing the real science is hardly necessary to point out the political garbage that is called science today. He does address scientific procedures and protocol being absent. he does address the ever changing world disaster targets and never ending money grabbing which is just politics for money, not science. The truth, I guess can be seen as propaganda?

Revealing? All political. Hardly addresses the real science except doing the same political propaganda as the “leftists”.
The article is not all political. The writer suggests the "science" is very often wrong about the future, even about the near future. It is terrible at predicting outcomes. When you link up climate to "give us all of your freedoms and property so we can save you", you have invited "politics" to the party and it would be improper to shout him out of the room - "This "politics" needs to go somewhere else, he doesn't belong here" - but you invited him?

The real problem is we have left the way of science by definition.....Webster's dictionary- knowledge or a system of knowledge covering general truths or the operation of general laws especially as obtained and tested through scientific method. The scientific method for the global ice age/ global warming /now global climate change has proven over and over again that these "possible doomsday forecast" are never close to accurate . This should tell any reasonable, logical, sane individual, that either the data they collect is erroneous or incomplete , or the algorithms used to make their computations faulty or even impossible to design. Also, given the short length of time widespread records have been made, makes for too short of a period to expect any kind of accurate assessment. The difference in localized environments make in recording and the changing of these environments over time can cause there to be several degrees difference in proximate readings. there is simply no way to perform any kind of evaluation of how climate will change over the next 50years, 40years, 20years......heck, this multimillion dollar Gfs model can't make it's mind up on 5 days. look at the tropical forecast, the fall and winter forecast, they are in continual flux. They expect people to sacrifice their livelihood, their lifestyle, all their logic for their so called science? If you don't see they are selling you a bill of goods, shame on you! Don't blame it on science, cause it's not based on science!

Has any prediction that AGW catastrophic warming adherents made come true? Inquiring minds want to know! Also is a "tipping point" similar to "cow tipping"?
Umm massive droughts in Central America, tremendous increase in wildfires out west? Hurricane strength increasing? Huge spike in heat waves in Europe? Can it all be tied to AGW? No, but to say there is nothing that has been predicted that has started to come true is false.

The real problem is we have left the way of science by definition.....Webster's dictionary- knowledge or a system of knowledge covering general truths or the operation of general laws especially as obtained and tested through scientific method. The scientific method for the global ice age/ global warming /now global climate change has proven over and over again that these "possible doomsday forecast" are never close to accurate . This should tell any reasonable, logical, sane individual, that either the data they collect is erroneous or incomplete , or the algorithms used to make their computations faulty or even impossible to design. Also, given the short length of time widespread records have been made, makes for too short of a period to expect any kind of accurate assessment. The difference in localized environments make in recording and the changing of these environments over time can cause there to be several degrees difference in proximate readings. there is simply no way to perform any kind of evaluation of how climate will change over the next 50years, 40years, 20years......heck, this multimillion dollar Gfs model can't make it's mind up on 5 days. look at the tropical forecast, the fall and winter forecast, they are in continual flux. They expect people to sacrifice their livelihood, their lifestyle, all their logic for their so called science? If you don't see they are selling you a bill of goods, shame on you! Don't blame it on science, cause it's not based on science!
No climate change scientist worth his salt would say future predictions can be accurately measured, that is what makes these projections very difficult. But to say you cannot predict what is a possible or likely outcome based on current knowledge is also not accurate. There is a difference between the science and what alarmists are proposing, but to also simply dismiss it is potentially very dangerous and is not good common sense.

Umm massive droughts in Central America, tremendous increase in wildfires out west? Hurricane strength increasing? Huge spike in heat waves in Europe? Can it all be tied to AGW? No, but to say there is nothing that has been predicted that has started to come true is false.
I always find the wildfire stat interesting. If 85% of forest fires are stated by humans is that really useful? Its a shame I have to use qualifiers here but I'm not arguing for or against just saying

You do know these things are cyclical and has happened in the past many times before CO2 started increasing right?

I always find the wildfire stat interesting. If 85% of forest fires are stated by humans is that really useful? Its a shame I have to use qualifiers here but I'm not arguing for or against just saying
I was amazed this summer at the amount of debris in the forest out west. We fight the fires and let that build up and are surprised when the fires are bad. Bad policy and letting people build in fire zones lead to this crap. We also settled the west during a historical wet period.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back