• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Freezing Rain, Sleet, Snow, Rain...Kitchen Sink (12/15-16)

Anyways, this is a storm I think that will do sleet at temps above 36 then snow till 32 then freezing rain as soon as the first lull hits with temps near 30 or below. All ptypes but the colder you get the less snow/sleet because dry air at the surface vanishes with warmer air aloft above the tree line. The Birdman Storm.

With the CAD deepening and looking like the high has gotten quite a bit stronger you could definitely see snow in the high elevations extending down into the far northern Piedmont. Think everyone Dow to highway 74 in NC will likely be sleet with some ZR mixed and everyone south of there into the central upstate would like be all ZR.

Damn we’re still trending to more confluence and GL ridging ?! Keep doing that and that introduces a quick front end snow potential for the NC Piedmont FA041B50-948E-44B3-8C2C-D05C8289EA06.gif
Even the nam is doing the same in the LR with stronger confluence >>> better GL ridging and better CAD, gonna have a pants bursting run soon ?B2F5C87E-7209-43D9-9DE2-B1EE4EA69918.gif

Damn we’re still trending to more confluence and GL ridging ?! Keep doing that and that introduces a quick front end snow potential for the NC Piedmont View attachment 57209
Even the nam is doing the same in the LR with stronger confluence >>> better GL ridging and better CAD, gonna have a pants bursting run soon ?View attachment 57210
Idk man not trying to be Debbie downer on snow but it's hard to find much evidence for snow in NC. Waa in the mid levels is probably going to be stout with the H85 and H7 flows with such a southerly component. I think the better hope for many is the models are underestimating the depth and intensity of the cold push in the sfc to 925 layer and there is more sleet. I could be wrong especially if we are seeing the models as usual being late on the precip arrival

Last edited:
Idk man not trying to be Debbie downer on snow but it's hard to find much evidence for snow in NC. Waa in the mid levels is probably going to be stout with the H85 and H7 flows with such a southerly component. I think the better hope for many is the models are underestimating the depth and intensity of the cold push in the sfc to 925 layer and there is more sleet. I could be wrong especially if we are bc seeing the models as usual being late on the precip arrival

I’m just saying for the very very front end part of it, the GFS tries to show a window with soundings that could wet bulb quickly, but yeah I agree at this point sleet is a win with this look, stronger CAD is just locking in freezing temps 242CDA87-4C01-48CE-A734-E42F6656BE39.png

Realistically if you want snow in NC the better hope is more intense secondary cyclogenesis off of the coast farther south. This would help start stacking the sfc into the mid layers and veer the flow resulting in caa and the ptype changeovers moving toward the S and east. Unfortunately as modeled right now this is a classic ice storm

Realistically if you want snow in NC the better hope is more intense secondary cyclogenesis off of the coast farther south. This would help start stacking the sfc into the mid layers and veer the flow resulting in caa and the ptype changeovers moving toward the S and east. Unfortunately as modeled right now this is a classic ice storm
Hopefully sleet can start becoming dominant if we keep trending colder
6FBEC293-D8E0-4542-A053-A3DB347E903E.gifFCF0E371-34CA-4099-808F-02EC80EB249B.gif

I’m just saying for the very very front end part of it, the GFS tries to show a window with soundings that could wet bulb quickly, but yeah I agree at this point sleet is a win with this look, stronger CAD is just locking in freezing temps View attachment 57212
That's not a bad sounding at all. As we know the models often underestimate the intital fgen and upglide and are late on precip arrival. If we get one of those fingers of precip rolling in early it would certainly change things a little and maybe bring a little snow but it would also likely shift the freezing rain/sleet lines SE since it would lock in the CAD dome. This would likely keep the coastal trough at Bay since it would be bumping up against a deeper cold dense airmass and the coastal low farther east

I don’t care how many dislikes I get but I see promising trends for less ZR and more mixing esp for a large area (Winston-Statesville-Hickory). Honestly I’m watching for a thread the needle onset all snow if everything comes together for a large chunk of North Carolina. We can get the snow to come off the mountains if trends continue. However, keeping it all snow virtually has no chance with what I’m seeing.

Back