• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry February 7-8 Winter storm

Wow I'm on Atlanta reddit and this was definitely a wierd storm. Folks in the middle of Atlanta barely got any snow, yet areas to the east got accumulation. One poster from Buckhead said they got snow for 2 hours, but none of it stuck. Another who lives at Atlantic Station said they've been up since 6:30 and got no snow. Hell here a post of a photo of someone from Virginia Highland, just 2 miles east of Midtown:

I'm thinking the models that were saying the Southwestern half of the metro get no accumulation got it right. It's hard to tell exactly where the line is. Absolutely bizzare. I feel more and more fortunate the more I read about other people's experiences with this storm.

Yeah, not that I was expecting much but we totally got monkey humped out in the circle.....I’ve come to expect these though.

Wow, you look outside here and you would've never thought it snowed 6 hours ago. Crazy how fast it melted.
Yep, gone in a flash. If this had been a storm we tracked for over a week, I would be upset about how fast it was gone. Considering it just popped up in the past 2 days and overperformed, I have no complaints this time.

Thanks. I'm gonna play around with some python code I've made to see if I can blend the state maps together into one image.

Looks like a majority of the totals are in for NC & SC, FFC has yet to release a public information statement or any local storm reports (LSRs), thus I'll likely have to wait on that &/or CoCoRaHS reports in the morning before I'm able to conduct a final, multi-state, and detailed post analysis for this event.

Second time in 8 days GSO gets snow and MBY sees nothing. I now know how you Wake county folks feel.
My parents in GSO just reported white rain in both so you're not missing much.

Snow flurries now at Winterplace. The horizon from the summit suggests there are some heavier snow showers around.

That just shows that nobody should look at these models or indexes at face vaule. Anything can happen.

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

Well, while most indices were in the commode, there was a pretty strong +PNA today (+0.9), which has had a pretty good correlation to major SE snows and quite possibly the best correlation of any major index fwiw. The last 2 days PNAs were the highest since 12/11.

Regardless, I think of indices as guidelines/tools rather than crystal balls.

1581204160503.png

Last edited:
My parents in GSO just reported white rain in both so you're not missing much.

Snow flurries now at Winterplace. The horizon from the summit suggests there are some heavier snow showers around.
-SN now. Some sexy dendrites are landing on my coat on the chairlift.

Back