• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Feb 17-19 Smastsmasher Snow/Ice

RGEM Looks more like the 3km now, models finally starting to agree View attachment 75843
The one interesting thing it has is the secondary hit of freezing rain Thursday night into Friday morning. I would normally discount this as its cold bias but RAH also mentions a chance of freezing rain tomorrow night (for some).
12z Friday:
aaab.JPG

hope this holds true tonight

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210217-093912_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20210217-093912_Samsung Internet.jpg
    612.3 KB · Views: 79
I wanna bet these high clouds move out and a lot of us warm 2-4 degrees past the forecasted temp then clouds move in later and things retreat north a tad

Meh, I don't think they will warm that much. The clouds will move out but it has limited warming to some degree. I am more focused on DP's which are running lower than anticipated.

Here’s what I’m thinking looking at the FRAM ice map, most of the stuff south of the dashed line is mostly rain (maybe spotty light ice), north/inside of the red line is the bad stuff, and in between is the lighter ice View attachment 75853
I think the areas hit hardest last time and those impacts move south towards Raleigh and maybe Charlotte but they may be too far south ... the next level of ice storm seems to effect the areas that got hardest hit last time .. ugly stuff

I think the areas hit hardest last time and those impacts move south towards Raleigh and maybe Charlotte but they may be too far south ... the next level of ice storm seems to effect the areas that got hardest hit last time .. ugly stuff
Probably gonna be where north Charlotte/north, northwestern Raleigh has some visible ice while the southern parts it doesn’t even look like it did anything

GSP
As of 935 AM: No significant changes to forecast thinking for
now. Question remains how far south does the cold air move and how
far south can the freezing wet bulb temps make it when precip
develops. Current Warnings/Advisories still look well placed;
however, could see small ice accums farther south into the Advisory
counties than currently forecast. Stay tuned for the latest updates.

Here’s what I’m thinking looking at the FRAM ice map, most of the stuff south of the dashed line is mostly rain (maybe spotty light ice), north/inside of the red line is the bad stuff, and in between is the lighter ice View attachment 75853

Looks about right with your edits. The furthermost North counties in SC may see a bit, but nothing like NC is going to end up as. That national blend is a little bit overzealous because of a rogue member or two. I'm not even sure Charlotte sees much of any ZR at this point.

We are entering the time frame where models, while helpful are not necessarily the answer. We are in now casting time. Even GSP alluded to the wetbulb, etc. And while the sun came back out that could also cause us to drop more tonight before clouds move in. If you look at the visible satellite, the main system is still pretty far out.

Back