• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Fall Foliage 2020

Was on the Blue Ridge Pkwy from southern VA and worked down to Balsam south of Asheville last Sunday to Tuesday. Patchy color with some leaf drop. Drove back to Balsam today, and drove up to the Pkwy highest point, turned and went back to Cherokee and then on through Bryson City to Murphy and back home. Peak color. Amazing! Peak not quite into North GA but not far from it. Big change from last Tuesday.

Get out and enjoy this week if possible!

Was on the Blue Ridge Pkwy from southern VA and worked down to Balsam south of Asheville last Sunday to Tuesday. Patchy color with some leaf drop. Drove back to Balsam today, and drove up to the Pkwy highest point, turned and went back to Cherokee and then on through Bryson City to Murphy and back home. Peak color. Amazing! Peak not quite into North GA but not far from it. Big change from last Tuesday.

Get out and enjoy this week if possible!
I’ll be up that way in about 10 days. Hopefully some color hangs around!

Looks like this might be one of the best years for foliage we have seen in quite some time. Looks like we’re right on track. I’m glad it isn’t one of those yuck years where the leaves fall only because it’s hot and dry.
The drive up to Roan Mtn was gorgeous. Peak color in the 4-5k range this past friday

I completely disagree with this map. Average peak is NOT Mid October in Atlanta View attachment 49705

Keep the beautiful leaf pics coming everyone! I never get tired of them.

1602543927622.png

But I have to say that DD is 100% correct to disagree with this map as it is way too early at least in much of the SE US. This may have been closer to accurate in the 1960s to 1970s, when it was colder. But not now! For example, this has central ATL metro on the line between mid and late Oct.. or ~Oct 20. No way!! Even when I was living there during the colder times in the late 70s to early 80s, it averaged closer to 7-10 days later than that (~10/27-30) near the north perimeter! And then once into the warmer 1990s to 2010s, it had moved later and averaged ~11/7 in the Dunwoody/Sandy Springs area with some of the more recent peaks not til ~11/15 due to very warm Sep-Oct! This map has November (green) even below SAV implying SAV peak is ~10/31, which is absolutely not true and wasn't even true during colder times. Even back then it was in early to mid Nov. Current SAV average peak is close to Thanksgiving and sometimes in recent years has been in early Dec! The green (November) should cover most of GA (all of it from N ATL burbs to Athens and south) instead of just the extreme SE corner.

That being said, it will vary from year to year and this year may end up earlier than most recent years.

Last edited:
Not headed to the mountains, but instead high rock lake this weekend, reminds me of the foothills there with big hills and the beautiful lake, with a bunch of elm/tulip trees/some white oaks being the dominate trees there, could turn out better than just the mountains if I get a cloudy day with a nice reflection to the water and many trees show color

I went on an ATV ride after work and noticed some yellow leaves on the trees and lots of leaves already on the ground along the trail by the creek

Keep the beautiful leaf pics coming everyone! I never get tired of them.

View attachment 50294

But I have to say that DD is 100% correct to disagree with this map as it is way too early at least in much of the SE US. This may have been closer to accurate in the 1960s to 1970s, when it was colder. But not now! For example, this has central ATL metro on the line between mid and late Oct.. or ~Oct 20. No way!! Even when I was living there during the colder times in the late 70s to early 80s, it averaged closer to 7-10 days later than that (~10/27-30) near the north perimeter! And then once into the warmer 1990s to 2010s, it had moved later and averaged ~11/7 in the Dunwoody/Sandy Springs area with some of the more recent peaks not til ~11/15 due to very warm Sep-Oct! This map has November (green) even below SAV implying SAV peak is ~10/31, which is absolutely not true and wasn't even true during colder times. Even back then it was in early to mid Nov. Current SAV average peak is close to Thanksgiving and sometimes in recent years has been in early Dec! The green (November) should cover most of GA (all of it from N ATL burbs to Athens and south) instead of just the extreme SE corner.

That being said, it will vary from year to year and this year may end up earlier than most recent years.

I agree with you GAwx. I know in Greensboro NC this is a tad early too. I'm usually doing my last major leaf cleanup right before thanksgiving. We like to host that holiday, and leaf cleanup is one of my Prep duties. That map has me right on the Mid to Late line, which could / would have most my leaves fallen and down by late October / Early November.

Back