• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Fall Foliage 2020

jackendrickwx

Hometown: Spartanburg, SC
Meteorology Student
Reaction score
Some have been asking for a fall foliage thread. I love the colors of the leaves, so I’ll kick it off with this little tree in my high school courtyard turning orange/red early

It’s sideways for reasons unknown to science. Post away!

Attachments

• BD36F8F0-CD0B-4D8E-9EEF-3C8F5439F9BD.jpeg
    BD36F8F0-CD0B-4D8E-9EEF-3C8F5439F9BD.jpeg
    475 KB · Views: 25
good bit of yellow showing on one of our walnut trees! A lot of trees have that late season look with their edges turning a lighter/weaker green.

FD2E5C9F-9401-42F3-BB55-B703D3EE82D1.jpeg

with this cold shot coming this week I imagine most mountain areas will be changing in full swing over the next couple of weeks.

Starting to get a little tinting of color to some of the trees around here. With the cool weather coming this week into the weekend we might actually peak early

Starting to get a little tinting of color to some of the trees around here. With the cool weather coming this week into the weekend we might actually peak early
My crape myrtle is starting to turn which usually a good indicator. Might be a old normal October peak. Seems like it’s been years.

I suppose normal in the mountains has been mid-October, (elevation obviously plays a role) but in recent years the peak has generally been a couple of weeks later than that. Here is the latest write-up from the professor over at App State ... he was predicting back to normal this year, but now perhaps the peak may be a little earlier than normal. With the rain and cool weather, not a big surprise I suppose. Still very interesting to follow. Regardless, weather is simply amazing.

I’ve noticed more color in the lower elevations vs higher so far this year.

Agree timing is a notch ahead of schedule. And Ive also noticed lot more vibrance than past couple of years from the few sneak peaks Ive seen up in wva and boone are last couple weeks. Should bold well and peak is only about 2 weeks away from this weekend northern NC mtns. The past 2 to 3 years have been terrible color wise.

I’ve noticed more color in the lower elevations vs higher so far this year.

There was a huge inversion a few of our cold mornings. In fact, Mt Mitchel wasn’t the first place to hit 32 this season due to the inversion. Probably not playing a huge roll but maybe that inversion helped the lower elevations stay in pace with higher peaks.

The cloudy day today shows we have a lot of patchy color starting to appear around here. A lot of red dogwoods and I noticed a lot of the silver maples are turning yellow at the fringes.

I would say the larger mistake with this map is the areas of the gulf coast being late October, which isn’t even close to true, more like mid to late November if you could even classify those areas having any fall foliage period. Water oaks and Loblolly pines don’t tend to change colors.

Back