• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc Fall - End of 2019 Whamby

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dont think Atlanta has ever had 10" in a single storm even though practically every city surrounding Atlanta has, including Birmingham, Chattanooga, Augusta and Macon.

You have to go way back in the records to find one, but such a storm does in fact exist for Atlanta.

This monster in early December (ironic right?) 1886 dropped nearly 20" of snow in Atlanta. This storm was absolutely insane.

Screen Shot 2019-11-10 at 10.12.13 PM.png

A lot of people have stated this decade is snowier than recent ones. That may be true for the previous ones going back to the 80s. But it's not even close going back all time. Drastic decline in snowfall and the recent uptick is still nothing. This is all time at CLT. Man if only we could have those good ole days back. There were far more good years than duds. Now it's the complete opposite.IMG_20191108_121447.png

I dont think Atlanta has ever had 10" in a single storm even though practically every city surrounding Atlanta has, including Birmingham, Chattanooga, Augusta and Macon.

January 1940 is the most recent time this has happened. To put that in perspective my grandmother (my mom's mom) wasn't born until 6 months later. Back then I think weather obs. for Atlanta were documented from downtown, not the airport if I'm not mistaken. They probably should have kept them there, our snowfall average would probably be higher right now. lol

January 1940 is the most recent time this has happened. To put that in perspective my grandmother (my mom's mom) wasn't born until 6 months later. Back then I think weather obs. for Atlanta were documented from downtown, not the airport if I'm not mistaken. They probably should have kept them there, our snowfall average would probably be higher right now. lol
Its amazing the difference 10 miles can make.

It shows you how difficult it is for winter weather in the south. Hey, move to jonesboro. Its a nice city. We play golf alot lol. I live on a golf course. I dont hit it too far off the tee, but usually straight.

haha... your nickname finally makes sense :p

also... as far as my move next year I'm looking heavily more over towards the Bentonville/Rogers area, or honestly maybe even Southern Missouri tbh

It's definitely not the snowiest move but I don't wanna live in a place where snow becomes so commonplace its not even a big deal lol

You have to go way back in the records to find one, but such a storm does in fact exist for Atlanta.

This monster in early December (ironic right?) 1886 dropped nearly 20" of snow in Atlanta. This storm was absolutely insane.

View attachment 25781

Fascinating stuff and thanks for posting! This, indeed, was a massive winter storm for parts of the SE US including much of N GA. For example, Rome got an absolutely astounding ~2' while even down at Montgomery they got 11" with even more just to the north! Asheville got ~3'! It was quite a storm at Atlanta, too. However, this Channel 44 map is deceiving for Atlanta, itself, where a mix of IP and SN fell adding to a total of ~7" accumulation. Foot and a half totals apparently were pretty close, however, where it was almost pure snow.

My sources are Atlanta newspapers from the time found by me in the downtown library a good number of years ago. The heaviest ATL accumulations on record are the already mentioned 10" in downtown in Jan of 1940 and 9.6" in Jan of 1893, both of which were near pure snows. Though 18" or so amounts likely weren't far, technically Dec of 1886 ATL total was ~7" because there was a lot of mixing with sleet there. I wanted to set the record straight. The article accompanying the map said this: "up to 18" fell near Atlanta". The key word is "near" as opposed to "at". Regardless, it was an incredible storm for much of the SE US and especially from central/N AL NE through N GA/SE TN through NW SC and W C and into much of VA. And folks need to remember that there's much more to a 7" sleet/snow combo than 7" of pure snow because of the much higher total water content.

Here is a copy that I made many years ago of microfilm of page 1 of the 12/6/1886 Atlanta Journal done in the downtown Atlanta library: note that it says that had it been all snow instead of sleet and snow, it would have measured nearly a foot. Also, it says that this at the time was the most severe snow ever known in Atlanta:

CC24BF80-1192-48FB-85B8-9F68DAEA5361.jpeg

Last edited:
If you're a Veteran let us know, I want to say thank you and God bless you!! We can complain, be a weenie, act like children, debate and even get on one another's nerves at times but we couldn't do any of it without our Vets who have fought for our freedom! Again THANK YOU!!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

5861e280000e3fa93cd0d51ba64c413d.jpg

The house we are trying to buy has a putting green. I was sold at Pu...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back