• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Coronavirus (Stay on Topic)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow. I'll take a 50yr experienced epidemiologist take on the virus response over internet experts.

I’m much more interested in how a private letter sent from one person to the other ends up in the hands of a national liberal newspaper despite the sender saying he never meant for it to get public in a follow up interview with the newspaper who got the letter.

I’d be willing to listen to his perspective, but the loud beeping of the bull crap meter makes it hard to hear.

Data out of Spain is very encouraging speaking of a second wave(if that is what it is and not just the spread of the virus hitting the regions spared by the lockdown. )

Attachments

• F047153D-13A2-446C-89DC-10B56C2D2676.jpeg
    F047153D-13A2-446C-89DC-10B56C2D2676.jpeg
    131.5 KB · Views: 14
  • 70431F6A-1F78-49E5-9056-67206B7515DF.jpeg
    70431F6A-1F78-49E5-9056-67206B7515DF.jpeg
    115.7 KB · Views: 15
I'd like to see these numbers compared versus confirmed cases rather than versus total population.
I would too because I feel confident that the highest number of confirmed cases is within the age groups that also have lowest percentage of deaths. Protect the at risk and elderly while opening back up. Schools should be open....jmho

It looks like Covid is a big fat lie. Can we lock this thread and throw away the key, now? I will never wear a mask for this or obey any health orders about Covid-19 again. I have no faith or trust in ANY public health expert or politician. All of them are idiots.

It is not a lie, I just tend to believe China once again sold the world a bunch of crap and just like how we buy their junk products, we bought their response to COVID.

In a few years there will be articles on it, our government will hold committee meetings on it both criticizing China and the other party, the United Nations will threaten to spank China with a wooden spoon and it will pass and nothing will change.

Interesting.

Also interesting.

“An effective response to the Covid pandemic requires multiple targeted interventions to reduce transmission, to develop better treatments and to protect vulnerable people. This declaration prioritises just one aspect of a sensible strategy – protecting the vulnerable – and suggests we can safely build up ‘herd immunity’ in the rest of the population. This is wishful thinking. It is not possible to fully identify vulnerable individuals, and it is not possible to fully isolate them. Furthermore, we know that immunity to coronaviruses wanes over time, and re-infection is possible – so lasting protection of vulnerable individuals by establishing ‘herd immunity’ is very unlikely to be achieved in the absence of a vaccine. Individual scientists may reasonably disagree about the relative merits of various interventions, but they must be honest about the feasibility of what they propose. This declaration is therefore not a helpful contribution to the debate.”

“An effective response to the Covid pandemic requires multiple targeted interventions to reduce transmission, to develop better treatments and to protect vulnerable people. This declaration prioritises just one aspect of a sensible strategy – protecting the vulnerable – and suggests we can safely build up ‘herd immunity’ in the rest of the population. This is wishful thinking. It is not possible to fully identify vulnerable individuals, and it is not possible to fully isolate them. Furthermore, we know that immunity to coronaviruses wanes over time, and re-infection is possible – so lasting protection of vulnerable individuals by establishing ‘herd immunity’ is very unlikely to be achieved in the absence of a vaccine. Individual scientists may reasonably disagree about the relative merits of various interventions, but they must be honest about the feasibility of what they propose. This declaration is therefore not a helpful contribution to the debate.”

They have some good counter points except for this guy.

Dr Michael Head, Senior Research Fellow in Global Health, University of Southampton, said:
“The Barrington Declaration is based upon a false premise – that governments and the scientific community wish for extensive lockdowns to continue until a vaccine is available. Lockdowns are only ever used when transmission is high, and now that we have some knowledge about how best to handle new outbreaks, most national and subnational interventions are much ‘lighter’ than the full suppressions we have seen for example in the UK across the spring of 2020.

I guess he needs to go talk to New York or Australia.

Or New Zealand. They do not mess around. But they have gotten rid of it twice now in their "go hard, go early" responses.
That they did. Whether it is worth all the trouble it’s caused and whether their strategy is feasible in a larger country with land borders is more debatable, though. Some of the measures New Zealand and Australia have taken to combat the virus are downright draconian and scary, IMO. Some very bad government control precedents set for the future there.

I’m wondering what’s the deal with the case spike in NC this past week. We are regularly reporting 2k+ cases per day now after being in the mid 1ks recently.

We are definitely headed in the wrong direction. I wonder how long we will stay in phase 3.

In other news, my mother-in-law (she lives in Oklahoma) was diagnosed with COVID yesterday. Her blood work indicated a possible blood clot. She is home for now though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back