• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Coronavirus (Stay on Topic)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Absolutely true. Some of these dates will have deaths added to them, still the quick downward trend is supported by the hospital numbers just probably not as quick as that graph shows.
Yep, agreed, the trends are certainly encouraging. NC’s hospitalizations have also displayed an encouraging trend with hospitalizations dipping below 1,000 this week.

This is not surprising and is good news for those not old and in good health. However, this doesn’t address the non-geriatric healthy folks who got it and didn’t die but had a serious illness and in some cases have had serious enough damage to their lungs and/or heart that may have longlasting implications.

This is not surprising and is good news for those not old and in good health. However, this doesn’t address the non-geriatric healthy folks who got it and didn’t die but had a serious illness and in some cases have had serious enough damage to their lungs and/or heart that may have longlasting implications.
You can say the same about other viruses but we don’t shutdown for them. We can agree to disagree.

Would you care to share how much of the population has any of these pre existing conditions? I guarantee it's over half given obesity is on there. Also respiratory failure being a 50k death toll. You get respiratory failure from having a respiratory illness. Yes I read the numbers but it's not like most of the population is perfectly safe from some of these.

Would you care to share how much of the population has any of these pre existing conditions? I guarantee it's over half given obesity is on there. Also respiratory failure being a 50k death toll. You get respiratory failure from having a respiratory illness.
I was waiting on your reply.

Would you care to share how much of the population has any of these pre existing conditions? I guarantee it's over half given obesity is on there. Also respiratory failure being a 50k death toll. You get respiratory failure from having a respiratory illness. Yes I read the numbers but it's not like most of the population is perfectly safe from some of these.
Same as the flu and the flu kills more children. We can agree to disagree.

You can say the same about other viruses but we don’t shutdown for them. We can agree to disagree.

Yeah, we’re likely not going to change each other’s minds very much. But keep in mind that there were major shutdowns for the 1918-9 pandemic. So, this isn’t the first virus leading to widespread shutdowns. One other thing I forgot to mention. It doesn’t address how many would have died by now had there been no shutdowns and other safety measures taken as this is highly contagious and I believe more contagious than the average flu.

Yeah, we’re likely not going to change each other’s minds very much. But keep in mind that there were major shutdowns for the 1918-9 pandemic. So, this isn’t the first virus leading to widespread shutdowns. One other thing I forgot to mention. It doesn’t address how many would have died by now had there been no shutdowns and other safety measures taken as this is highly contagious and I believe more contagious than the average flu.
Probably hard to calculate that number but I don’t think it would have been thousands more.Medicine has came along way since 1918. I don’t think the lockdown was needed but that’s me. Also being contagious doesn’t equal death.

Probably hard to calculate that number but I don’t think it would have been thousands more.Medicine has came along way since 1918. I don’t think the lockdown was needed but that’s me. Also being contagious doesn’t equal death.
Plus people were dropping dead left and right in the 1918 pandemic. Young, healthy people.

Anyway, I have a question: If we stipulate that a vaccine is a ways away still, and even when it comes out, it may only be somewhat effective, if we stipulate that herd immunity may not happen, if we stipulate that no better treatment quickly becomes available, and if we stipulate the virus isn't just going to magically go away, what is the mechanism that gets us from where we are now to back to normal?

Is it reasonable to think that the human race can remain in quasi-lockdown for years over a virus with such a low death rate?

Obviously, if any of the above variables change favorably, that would make a difference. But there's no guarantee that they will.

Plus people were dropping dead left and right in the 1918 pandemic. Young, healthy people.

Anyway, I have a question: If we stipulate that a vaccine is a ways away still, and even when it comes out, it may only be somewhat effective, if we stipulate that herd immunity may not happen, if we stipulate that no better treatment quickly becomes available, and if we stipulate the virus isn't just going to magically go away, what is the mechanism that gets us from where we are now to back to normal?

Is it reasonable to think that the human race can remain in quasi-lockdown for years over a virus with such a low death rate?

Obviously, if any of the above variables change favorably, that would make a difference. But there's no guarantee that they will.
I agree, we can’t stay lockdown because this virus isn’t ever going to go away just like the flu virus doesn’t. I think it will be a additional shot every year people can choose to get or not. I think the lockdown was a over reaction and political.

I agree, we can’t stay lockdown because this virus isn’t ever going to go away just like the flu virus doesn’t. I think it will be a additional shot every year people can choose to get or not. I think the lockdown was a over reaction and political.
At this point what is still "locked down"? Maybe gyms and movie theaters?

At this point what is still "locked down"? Maybe gyms and movie theaters?
Schools and it's creating a nightmare in the workplace, not to mention virtual learning is a disaster.. my wife sees it daily.

Edit: it would be nice to see fans at sporting events, have a state fair, parades, etc the list is actually long

Locked down as in offices closed, restaurant can’t go 100%, sporting events. Etc... things that can help bring back the economy faster. Atlanta is still in phase 1. I forgot schools as well.
But most offices and restaurants are still functioning right? I'm not trying to be argumentative, it's just I personally think saying we are locked down at this point is a bit much. I can go and do the things I choose to do with no restrictions. Maybe I'm boring.

As for sports I do agree that not having them is a big impact on local economy especially in the smaller markets. As for the owners/players hurting for money meh your greed caught up to you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back