• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Coronavirus (Stay on Topic)

Status
Not open for further replies.
This may be slightly dramatic.

Slightly? You don't suppose constantly singling out and alienating a prominent poster on a forum when you're a mod and supposed to be held to a higher standard than everyone else here is a good idea and a real good look for you? Just curious, because I'm trying to make sure I'm not on Americanwx right now.

Are you even going to try to put a single ounce of effort or thought into your posts?

Also, do you really think it's acceptable behavior for a mod to pick sides and single out individual bloggers?
Doesn't testing for disease typically drop when less people present with symptoms? Isn't that how it has been working? Maybe Covid is different in that regard. If it is, then I'm wrong and will own it.

A little better trend in Huntsville and UAB, although Tuscaloosa is stable. RMC in Anniston is also dropping although I haven’t looked at Montgomery(although read somewhere it’s dropping) or Mobile.

View attachment 46403

View attachment 46404

I'd like to see us actually continue testing at a similar rate as before (which we're not), drop back to at least wave 1 levels and hold this "trend" for at least several weeks before going all-in on a significant downturn in cases

Slightly? You don't suppose constantly singling out and alienating a prominent poster on a forum when you're a mod and supposed to be held to a higher standard than everyone else here is a good idea and a real good look for you? Just curious, because I'm trying to make sure I'm not on Americanwx right now.
Prominent? Ha. Go color some maps

Singled out? Huh? You called me out. I'm scratching my head here. You stomp through the thread with a purposefully insulting and sarcastic tone, when you disagree and then someone says something about it and I'm singling you out? Ok.

Doesn't testing for disease typically drop when less people present with symptoms? Isn't that how it has been working? Maybe Covid is different in that regard. If it is, then I'm wrong and will own it.

But it's not even close to being that simple, which is what I've been trying to get at, but instead have spent the better part of the last few hours getting personally attacked, with reinforcement from mods like yourself, and receiving effortless one-liners that make it difficult to have a legitimate, reasonable conversation here.

Another piece worth mentioning is that natural disasters and the previous increase in testing rates strained testing centers to capacity, taking forever for results to return, which ultimately turns people away, with @Jimmy Hypocracy being a great example of that here in this forum. Also, many of the testing kits from the feds are basically untenable as is the case in North Carolina:

"How North Carolina ended up with 283,500 vials of unusable COVID-19 testing material from the federal government"
https://abc11.com/nc-coronavirus-testing-covid-test-update/6366029/

"The number of new coronavirus cases recorded nationwide each day is dropping after peaking at more than 75,000 — but the declines are muddied by issues with testing and data-gathering in big states.

Populous California and Florida have the largest decreases in the past month in raw numbers: Florida’s average daily cases have tumbled to about 7,300 from a peak of nearly 12,000, while California surpassed 10,000 before dropping close to 7,000. Those two states also have reported major data snags.

California Gov. Gavin Newsom (D) noted a big drop in daily cases, but officials warned a day later that issues with the reporting system were causing an undercount. Florida’s numbers, meanwhile, were disrupted by Hurricane Isaias, which led officials to suspend coronavirus testing at dozens of sites."

But it's not even close to being that simple, which is what I've been trying to get at, but instead have spent the better part of the last few hours getting personally attacked, with reinforcement from mods like yourself, and receiving effortless one-liners that make it difficult to have a legitimate, reasonable conversation here.

Another piece worth mentioning is that natural disasters and the previous increase in testing rates strained testing centers to capacity, taking forever for results to return, which ultimately turns people away, with @Jimmy Hypocracy being a great example of that here in this forum. Also, many of the testing kits from the feds are basically untenable as is the case in North Carolina:

"How North Carolina ended up with 283,500 vials of unusable COVID-19 testing material from the federal government"
https://abc11.com/nc-coronavirus-testing-covid-test-update/6366029/

"The number of new coronavirus cases recorded nationwide each day is dropping after peaking at more than 75,000 — but the declines are muddied by issues with testing and data-gathering in big states.

Populous California and Florida have the largest decreases in the past month in raw numbers: Florida’s average daily cases have tumbled to about 7,300 from a peak of nearly 12,000, while California surpassed 10,000 before dropping close to 7,000. Those two states also have reported major data snags.

California Gov. Gavin Newsom (D) noted a big drop in daily cases, but officials warned a day later that issues with the reporting system were causing an undercount. Florida’s numbers, meanwhile, were disrupted by Hurricane Isaias, which led officials to suspend coronavirus testing at dozens of sites."
Ok, but I still don't understand how I personally assaulted your honor, which I was essentially called out for. As far as cases go, you are doing an awful lot of work to get around the most likely reason for cases dropping...which is, less sick people.

Singled out? Huh? You called me out. I'm scratching my head here. You stomp through the thread with a purposefully insulting and sarcastic tone, when you disagree and then someone says something about it and I'm singling you out? Ok.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but YOU were the one that decided to single me out by plussing/favoriting any and all ad hominem attacks against myself in this very thread and then responded to my recent posts with poorly thought out one-liners and punch lines that you put absolutely zero effort or thought into.

You're the moderator here, and it's your job to restore peace, order, remain unbiased, not playing sides or favorites and above all else, keep the thread on topic and from completely derailing. It's pretty obvious from your recent posts in this thread that you've only made this situation worse by berating me, singling me out, responding to me w/ snarky sarcasm, i.e. you're not doing your job and you're starting to turn this thread into Americanwx 2.0. If you feel threatened at all by me confronting you about it, it's not really my problem, because if you're gonna be a mod, maybe you should grow up and start acting like one.

Ok, but I still don't understand how I personally assaulted your honor, which I was essentially called out for. As far as cases go, you are doing an awful lot of work to get around the most likely reason for cases dropping...which is, less sick people.

FFS, can you please stop with the personal attacks already?! I am really trying to have a legitimate conversation here and you're still derailing it and bringing up nonsense that has nothing to do w/ the topic in this thread and to top it off, you're a mod for crying out loud, and it's your job to prevent crap like this from going on, just pathetic behavior really. Also, are you actually going to read the excerpts and articles in my above linked post and respond to their claims or will you continue on w/ the one-liners without any evidence or links to back them up whatsoever?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but YOU were the one that decided to single me out by plussing/favoriting any and all ad hominem attacks against myself in this very thread and then responded to my recent posts with poorly thought out one-liners and punch lines that you put absolutely zero effort or thought into.

You're the moderator here, and it's your job to restore peace, order, remain unbiased, not playing sides or favorites and above all else, keep the thread on topic and from completely derailing. It's pretty obvious from your recent posts in this thread that you've only made this situation worse by berating me, singling me out, responding to me w/ snarky sarcasm, i.e. you're not doing your job and you're starting to turn this thread into Americanwx 2.0. If you feel threatened at all by me confronting you about it, it's not really my problem, because if you're gonna be a mod, maybe you should grow up and start acting like one.
Come on man. You worry about emojis too much. Nobody is singling you out personally, certainly not me. You called me out.

We can't go a few days without drama on here that's horrible. Who cares what other people's opinions are? It's not like any of our opinions are going to make public policy.

It would be really nice if certain people actually decided to put at least a tiny bit of thought and effort into their responses instead of going on aimlessly w/ one-liners, "gotcha!" punch lines, and personal attacks.

It would be really nice if certain people actually decided to put at least a tiny bit of thought and effort into their responses instead of going on aimlessly w/ one-liners, "gotcha!" punch lines, and personal attacks.
If you don't have any expectations of people to agree with you, you won't get bothered by anyone. None of us have anything to prove to anyone on here.

Yep, exactly what the Big12 plans to do...

"Big 12 members have committed to enhanced COVID-19 testing that includes three tests per week in “high contact” sports, like Football, Volleyball and Soccer. Additionally, return to play protocols after positive occurrences will include an EKG, troponin blood test, echocardiogram, and cardiac MRI. Non-conference football opponents must also adhere to COVID-19 testing protocols that conform to Big 12 standards during the week leading up to competition. "

Sounds like a reasonable approach to me...
I'm not a sports guy at all, so I couldn't care less about whether they play or not. That said, I know many are, and these protocols seem reasonable enough to ensure the players are protected. Well, as protected as they can be anyway.

My only concern is that those that cram the stadiums may spread it among themselves, and if they understand and want to take that risk, that's fine. The problem comes in when the family and friends of those fans that accept those risks have no say in the matter. If they contract the virus then bring it home to their elderly parents or grandparents that dont have a say in the matter, well that sucks.

That said, they could contract it anywhere else and bring it home to their families that way. Bottom line is as I've been saying. Wear a mask, practice good hygiene, practice distancing when possible, stay home if you are sick. We can't shut down everything forever, but if people would follow those simple things we wouldn't HAVE to. We know very well how viruses spread, science has proven it time and time again. We can lower the numbers while still enjoying sports, and having businesses open, especially if people just trust the science, believe in it, and follow it.

And actually, a whole slew of viruses would become less prevelant if we (as a whole) would follow those good practices. Common colds would go down, the flu would go down... What is there to lose? Maybe I've just been lucky, but I'm 43 and I've had the flu once in my life, I've never had strep throat, get a cold maybe once every 3 or 4 years, but I have always tried to practice good hygiene like washing and sanitizing and avoiding those that are sick, and not touching my face unless I've just washed my hands.

I dunno, just my 2 cents.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Come on man. You worry about emojis too much. Nobody is singling you out personally, certainly not me. You called me out.

It's not just the emojis... did you not read your own snarky, sarcastic response(s) to me earlier? It's 100% your job as a moderator to defuse the situation in this forum and keep the thread on topic and be unbiased and objective. How exactly do you think you're accomplishing that here by making side, snarky comments towards myself, going on endlessly with personal attacks when it was pretty clear you needed to drop it, posting poorly thought-out one-liners, and putting virtually no effort into any of your responses to me?

I personally pay attention to the percentage of positive cases.. what's intriguing is the persentage of positive cases is rising in some of the states that have lowered testing. That tells me there's widespread transmission in communities that are not being tested. Not trying to stir the pot but that is worrisome we should see the percentage of positives going down with the number of tests being conducted but not all states are....all this can really make a man's head spin I personally think everyone should be tested symptoms or not to get a better data pool anyway what do I know haha

If you don't have any expectations of people to agree with you, you won't get bothered by anyone. None of us have anything to prove to anyone on here.

I understand that. I think we can all agree that for some people in this thread, like moderators, however there are definitely expectations and standards that need to be met when it comes to dialogue w/ other bloggers and how these sometimes tense situations are handled, and it's apparent that these expectations are clearly not being met in this instance. If this starts to become a consistent theme in any way, shape, or form here, this is especially bothersome imo since many these qualities are exemplified on the very forum many of us have come to despise with ardent fervor (i.e. americanwx).

I personally pay attention to the percentage of positive cases.. what's intriguing is the percentage of positive cases is rising in some of the states that have lowered testing. That tells me there's widespread transmission in communities that are not being tested. Not trying to stir the pot but that is worrisome we should see the percentage of positives going down with the number of tests being conducted but not all states are....all this can really make a man's head spin I personally think everyone should be tested symptoms or not to get a better data pool anyway what do I know haha

Bingo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back