• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Coronavirus (Stay on Topic)

Status
Not open for further replies.
If none of the players in that video have tested positive what’s the problem? I might be missing the point. Can’t spread a virus if you don’t have it.

I think you’re missing that this is an exchange between me and Jimmy regarding his post saying “ but they were wearing masks.”

I have no issue with MLB or the end of game line or whatever. Jimmy took the opportunity to suggest that the masks were of no value since so many players have tested positive.

My only point is that there were many more opportunities for the virus to spread beyond the dugout.

I think you’re missing that this is an exchange between me and Jimmy regarding his post saying “ but they were wearing masks.”

I have no issue with MLB or the end of game line or whatever. Jimmy took the opportunity to suggest that the masks were of no value since so many players have tested positive.

My only point is that there were many more opportunities for the virus to spread beyond the dugout.
I gotcha now.

Bump. Waiting for @weatherfide to tell me what Fauci lied about.
About wearing masks. Interview on cbs sixty minutes where he said people should not walk around wearing masks to prevent COVID. Now he says, yeah do that. He has been wrong on so many aspects of this thing, including best treatments. Wants to sell you and expensive drug when a cheap effective treatment is readily available. Also, who elected this clown? Why does he suddenly have authority to dictate how people should behave?

About wearing masks. Interview on cbs sixty minutes where he said people should not walk around wearing masks to prevent COVID. Now he says, yeah do that. He has been wrong on so many aspects of this thing, including best treatments. Wants to sell you and expensive drug when a cheap effective treatment is readily available. Also, who elected this clown? Why does he suddenly have authority to dictate how people should behave?
Gaining new data and science about a brand new virus and then adjusting recommendations based on the new information is hardly lying. Although it’s possible you aren’t as familiar with the scientific process, so that’s ok. Hang around this board in winter and you will also see some very educated people adjust their thoughts and predictions on storms and events based on new data.

Serious question: At what point do we accept that the virus is here to stay? Will we be more confident as a society in our ability to overcome once the vaccine is made available or will we we be more confident once the majority of people wear a mask? Hospitals are not being overrun as was the primary fear when this virus came about. So what is the goal here? What sort of indicator are we looking for to go back to our lives unafraid?

I think most people have accepted the virus is now a realistic part of our daily lives but that is where the rift exists. You have one side that says well if it exists we should do what we can to limit exposure and spread and the other that says well open it up and hope you don't die (is this a correct assumption?).

Personally I would think any society would want to balance having a functional economy while mitigating risks with an end game of no more cases of the virus or "controls" such as a vaccine. The US did a great job at flattening the curve but then we decided to open business, protest, go on vacation and boom exponential growth. To me it's not as clear cut as lock down or open, people are going to lose in either scenario whether it's life, property, future health. It's finding the balance that keeps as many as healthy as possible while also keeping as many gainfully employed and able to provide. I think that for the interim masks give you that ability if not the ability to open a little more.

I don't understand the stigma that masks mean you live in fear? I don't understand that respecting it's existence makes you whatever negative connotation has been used.

So long story short I think you keep masks around for as long as you can or they are proven ineffective. They might just be what gives people some freedom back

Last edited:
Sure, there have been statements made in the past, by Fauci as well as many others mind you, that they ended up completely changing their stance on. But I think a lot of that has to do with the fact that we know so much more about this particular virus now than we did all those months ago. I think that at the time and given the best information they had available they gave the information that they thought was accurate. As we learned more about it some of those recommendations have changed. That doesn't necessarily mean that they intentionally lied or tried to mislead the American people.

The same thing happens all the time in science. We come up with a theory, the best one we can with the information available at the time, and then 50 years later we discover something completely new that we didn't know existed, so we have to change the theory a little, or sometimes scrap it and come up with a whole new one.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I think most people have accepted the virus is now a realistic part of our daily lives but that is where the rift exists. You have one side that says well if it exists we should go what we can to limit exposure and spread and the other that says well open it up and hope you don't die (is this a correct assumption?).

Personally I would think any society would want to balance having a functional economy while mitigating risks with an end game of no more cases of the virus or "controls" such as a vaccine. The US did a great job at flattening the curve but then we decided to open business, protest, go on vacation and boom exponential growth. To me it's not as clear cut as lock down or open, people are going to lose in either scenario whether it's life, property, future health. It's finding the balance that keeps as many as healthy as possible while also keeping as many gainfully employed and able to provide. I think that for the interim masks give you that ability if not the ability to open a little more.

I don't understand the stigma that masks mean you live in fear? I don't understand that respecting it's existence makes you whatever negative connotation has been used.

So long story short I think you keep masks around for as long as you can or they are proven ineffective. They might just be what gives people some freedom back
Fair enough. I guess my question is when do we shed the masks? What will give the American people the confidence that everything is going to be ok and life with Covid still out there is manageable? If we can both agree that Covid is going nowhere, why are we hiding from the inevitable. In the beginning we wanted to flatten the curve so that hospitals were not overrun. Numbers are now
Through the roof but hospitals are nowhere near “overrun”. So what is the goal now? I understand that we want to mitigate risks and many believe we can do that with masks, but where do we draw the line? What’s the stopping point? The end game? Are masks and Covid fear a permanent fixture in America now?

Sure, there have been statements made in the past, by Fauci as well as many others mind you, that they ended up completely changing their stance on. But I think a lot of that has to do with the fact that we know so much more about this particular virus now than we did all those months ago. I think that at the time and given the best information they had available they gave the information that they thought was accurate. As we learned more about it some of those recommendations have changed. That doesn't necessarily mean that they intentionally lied or tried to mislead the American people.

The same thing happens all the time in science. We come up with a theory, the best one we can with the information available at the time, and then 50 years later we discover something completely new that we didn't know existed, so we have to change the theory a little, or sometimes scrap it and come up with a whole new one.

I completely agree with the "changing the stance as more/better data becomes available" approach. But there was a flat out, undeniable political operation at the beginning of this thing to dissuade the public from buying and wearing masks. I don't know if it was because they were worried that medical facilities/professionals could get them or something else. But there was definitely a campaign to discourage the practice at the outset. And then it all changed...not because of better Intel but because they met their goal, whatever it was.

I completely agree with the "changing the stance as more/better data becomes available" approach. But there was a flat out, undeniable political operation at the beginning of this thing to dissuade the public from buying and wearing masks. I don't know if it was because they were worried that medical facilities/professionals could get them or something else. But there was definitely a campaign to discourage the practice at the outset. And then it all changed...not because of better Intel but because they met their goal, whatever it was.
I agree and unfortunately can't offer any insight into that, but you are correct, it did happen that way. But I wouldn't say with absolute certainty that it was for nefarious reasons unless someone can show otherwise. I always try to keep an open mind, and can be persuaded with truthful facts, but I try to keep speculation to a minimum. Lord knows I've been wrong way more times in my life than I care to admit, but I'm not too proud to admit it. =P

We know medical facilities lacked the proper PPE and early one the effort was to allow them the best access to the market. This meant they recommended us not buying up a bunch of masks. Once supply lines opened up and mask became more readily available then the mask wearing became an option.

We know medical facilities lacked the proper PPE and early one the effort was to allow them the best access to the market. This meant they recommended us not buying up a bunch of masks. Once supply lines opened up and mask became more readily available then the mask wearing became an option.
That's the most common guess as to the rationale, and it's most likely accurate, IMO. It was still just another example of leadership being dishonest with the "regular people" though. Not sure how that is supposed to inspire a lot of trust. For me, it doesn't.

I have a really tough time believing people, who are supposed to look out for our well being, feeding us a bunch of crap over and over and telling us "but trust us now". I trust my own good sense. Getting masks made sense then and wearing masks makes sense now. As far as other things like herd immunity and rushing a vaccine to the market, possibly being required to take it because it absolutely positively 100% is the awesomest thing ever invented by a collaboration of entities who are going to make boatloads of money off of it, well let's just say we'll see.

I’ll give you props on that video. Good find. However..I didn’t see anyone sneeze or cough in the video.
“Since the disease spreads via respiratory droplets, neither a handshake or fist bump would be a primary way to pass along the virus.”

Jimmy, Jimmy, Jimmy... I love you bro, but you're arguing a point that just isn't on solid ground. An argument could be made that the cold virus doesn't primarily spread through handshakes or fist bumps, but it still spread via those avenues of contact. I can't imagine the players didn't touch their faces, cough into their gloves, or rub their nose before throwing the ball. A game with a ball that everybody handles will always be a great avenue for any communicable disease, because everybody touches the rock. I've played basketball in the past, and I've seen my entire team go down from a cold virus after a game.

I think it's better to argue that athletes and all workers should be allowed with relative normality, because there may never be a cure for coronavirus. There may never be a medical solution, so there's no point in prolonging the inevitable viral infection, especially during the summer. Do I like this argument? No. I don't even know if it makes sense. But I haven't a better one for you. In all fairness, the players shouldn't be giving handshakes to each other after a game. That is just a common sense method for limiting exposure.

Last Wednesday I had a solid 5 to 10 minute conversation face to face shoulder to shoulder not socially distanced with someone who ended up going out of work Thursday and has tested positive. So 5 days since our interaction and we both wore masks. Just found out tonight when i got to work.

According to Jimmy I'm screwed cause masks dont work.

Jimmy, Jimmy, Jimmy... I love you bro, but you're arguing a point that just isn't on solid ground. An argument could be made that the cold virus doesn't primarily spread through handshakes or fist bumps, but it still spread via those avenues of contact. I can't imagine the players didn't touch their faces, cough into their gloves, or rub their nose before throwing the ball. A game with a ball that everybody handles will always be a great avenue for any communicable disease, because everybody touches the rock. I've played basketball in the past, and I've seen my entire team go down from a cold virus after a game.

I think it's better to argue that athletes and all workers should be allowed with relative normality, because there may never be a cure for coronavirus. There may never be a medical solution, so there's no point in prolonging the inevitable viral infection, especially during the summer. Do I like this argument? No. I don't even know if it makes sense. But I haven't a better one for you. In all fairness, the players shouldn't be giving handshakes to each other after a game. That is just a common sense method for limiting exposure.
Same right back at you. Well if these players are having all of these other interactions off the field and off camera, what’s the point in wearing a mask in the dugout? Conditioning the viewing audience? I’m kind of with RC on this one. Why are we to trust the government for anything in our lives? They have flipped and flopped more than a IHOP pancake. I just can’t with these people. Some on here put their absolute trust in big brother and to be honest that makes me downright nauseous.

Last Wednesday I had a solid 5 to 10 minute conversation face to face shoulder to shoulder not socially distanced with someone who ended up going out of work Thursday and has tested positive. So 5 days since our interaction and we both wore masks. Just found out tonight when i got to work.

Guess we'll know in 9 more days, give or take. Hoping you will be ok and not get it! Do you know if that person is very (abnormally) sick?

Same right back at you. Well if these players are having all of these other interactions off the field and off camera, what’s the point in wearing a mask in the dugout? Conditioning the viewing audience? I’m kind of with RC on this one. Why are we to trust the government for anything in our lives? They have flipped and flopped more than a IHOP pancake. I just can’t with these people. Some on here put their absolute trust in big brother and to be honest that makes me downright nauseous.
I haven't been following sports much lately. But if, in fact, they are all doing this just for the camera, then that's pretty stupid.

Guess we'll know in 9 more days, give or take. Hoping you will be ok and not get it! Do you know if that person is very (abnormally) sick?

No word. He wasnt sick on Wednesday so I'm guessing he was either not sure of minor symptoms or asymptomatic. I'm not too worried but just goes to show how quickly you can be exposed and not know it.

There are 3 new cases at work this week. Another one I walked in with the other day put on his Facebook today that he tested positive as well. I'm starting to suspect we have an outbreak at work but that it's mostly mild cases. We are up to 8 or so with most in the last 2 to 3 weeks.

I will say, and this is 100% true, I spent a week in a beach cottage with 9 people when I was presumed negative after my rapid blood test and no one got sick. By mid week I learned of my positive nasal swab. Here we are four weeks later and not one person from that house has tested positive. I lived with them for 8 straight days. I tested positive as late as 3 days after I returned home.

We still have no idea what factors into the spread of this virus. It’s 100% speculation as far as I’m concerned. I’ve lived it.

My 17 year old was in direct contact (less than 6 feet of separation) and no mask with 2 different people who tested positive. About 3 weeks apart from each other

One was his swim coach the other was a friend he rode with to get pizza. He never had any sign of being sick. If he had it with no symptoms he did not spread it to anyone In our house. I can’t figure out the spread of this virus

I will say, and this is 100% true, I spent a week in a beach cottage with 9 people when I was presumed negative after my rapid blood test and no one got sick. By mid week I learned of my positive nasal swab. Here we are four weeks later and not one person from that house has tested positive. I lived with them for 8 straight days. I tested positive as late as 3 days after I returned home.

We still have no idea what factors into the spread of this virus. It’s 100% speculation as far as I’m concerned. I’ve lived it.

Did they all get tested?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back