• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Coronavirus (Stay on Topic)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can do that through vaccination. Herd immunity through normal virus exposure will take years. They say sometimes neutralizing antibodies aren’t even generated at a significant level and antibody protection could only last a few months. That’s not worth killing millions. Vaccine is literally the only way.

What are your thoughts concerning the Tcell studies like this one?

Also mentioned here.

Last edited:

NEWSJUNE 22, 2020

Coronavirus has significantly weakened, could disappear without vaccine, top doctor reveals
'It was like an aggressive tiger in March and April but now it's like a wild cat'

Jane Barlow - WPA Pool/Getty Images
CHRIS ENLOE

The coronavirus has significantly weakened and could even disappear on its own, according to a top Italian doctor.

Ditch the fake news ==> Click here to get news you can trust sent right to your inbox. It's free!

Dr. Matteo Bassetti, the head of the infectious diseases clinic at the San Martino hospital, said in an interview Sunday that COVID-19 patients who would have died two or three months ago are now recovering.
"The clinical impression I have is that the virus is changing in severity," Bassetti told the Telegraph UK.
"In March and early April the patterns were completely different. People were coming to the emergency department with a very difficult to manage illness and they needed oxygen and ventilation, some developed pneumonia," he explained. "Now, in the past four weeks, the picture has completely changed in terms of

Bassetti attributed the strength differences to potential genetic mutations, which are common for viruses. He explained that increased scientific understanding about the virus has also aided efforts to mitigate its impact.

"It was like an aggressive tiger in March and April but now it's like a wild cat," Bassetti said. "Even elderly patients, aged 80 or 90, are now sitting up in bed and they are breathing without help. The same patients would have died in two or three days before."
"I think the virus has mutated because our immune system reacts to the virus and we have a lower viral load now due to the lockdown, mask-wearing, social distancing," he explained.
In fact, Bassetti said COVID-19 may disappear even without a vaccine.
"Yes, probably it could go away completely without a vaccine. We have fewer and fewer people infected and it could end up with the virus dying out," he told the Telegraph.
Coronavirus cases worldwide continue to climb, an increase that is attributed to widespread testing. However, hospitalizations and deaths are generally decreasing, with the exception of Latin and South America, where Brazil and Mexico have seen COVID-related deaths skyrocket.
Mexico, for example, reported more than 1,000 new COVID-19 deaths on Monday.
According to former FDA Commissioner Scott Gottlieb, the increase in positive cases can be attributed to younger people taking more risks when venturing outside, while medically vulnerable and elderly people are better protecting themselves.

NEWSJUNE 22, 2020

Coronavirus has significantly weakened, could disappear without vaccine, top doctor reveals
'It was like an aggressive tiger in March and April but now it's like a wild cat'

Jane Barlow - WPA Pool/Getty Images
CHRIS ENLOE

The coronavirus has significantly weakened and could even disappear on its own, according to a top Italian doctor.

Ditch the fake news ==> Click here to get news you can trust sent right to your inbox. It's free!

Dr. Matteo Bassetti, the head of the infectious diseases clinic at the San Martino hospital, said in an interview Sunday that COVID-19 patients who would have died two or three months ago are now recovering.
"The clinical impression I have is that the virus is changing in severity," Bassetti told the Telegraph UK.
"In March and early April the patterns were completely different. People were coming to the emergency department with a very difficult to manage illness and they needed oxygen and ventilation, some developed pneumonia," he explained. "Now, in the past four weeks, the picture has completely changed in terms of

Bassetti attributed the strength differences to potential genetic mutations, which are common for viruses. He explained that increased scientific understanding about the virus has also aided efforts to mitigate its impact.

"It was like an aggressive tiger in March and April but now it's like a wild cat," Bassetti said. "Even elderly patients, aged 80 or 90, are now sitting up in bed and they are breathing without help. The same patients would have died in two or three days before."
"I think the virus has mutated because our immune system reacts to the virus and we have a lower viral load now due to the lockdown, mask-wearing, social distancing," he explained.
In fact, Bassetti said COVID-19 may disappear even without a vaccine.
"Yes, probably it could go away completely without a vaccine. We have fewer and fewer people infected and it could end up with the virus dying out," he told the Telegraph.
Coronavirus cases worldwide continue to climb, an increase that is attributed to widespread testing. However, hospitalizations and deaths are generally decreasing, with the exception of Latin and South America, where Brazil and Mexico have seen COVID-related deaths skyrocket.
Mexico, for example, reported more than 1,000 new COVID-19 deaths on Monday.
According to former FDA Commissioner Scott Gottlieb, the increase in positive cases can be attributed to younger people taking more risks when venturing outside, while medically vulnerable and elderly people are better protecting themselves.
Thank you for totally including an entire article I totally read and an ad I didn't ask for. Can't you just post links and your own take instead of copy-pasting.

There's a huge rise in cases in major cities of Texas, California, and Arizona. Florida usually has lower numbers on Monday, so we'll see the state of Orlando, Miami, and Tampa Bay tomorrow. The mostly suburban nature of Broward County is slowing down the spread in Ft. Lauderdale and Hollywood. I never had any doubts that urban areas would be hit the hardest. The natural issues of cities (i.e. public transportation and gathering centers) is clearly being compounded by the behavior of young adults, which is evidenced by the new cases skewing younger in the states with significant spikes. I am finding some correlation between areas with large protests and more significant spikes in Covid cases, but will need more information before make a definite conclusion as there are some discrepencies.

For example, Houston had some of the largest protests in Texas of an estimated 60,000 people, as this was the childhood home of George Floyd. Dallas had smaller protests, and it a lot less congested than Houston. Houston, Texas has been leading the Texas Covid-19 surge, reporting 1,789 cases today. The total cases today for Dallas County was 454 - a record for the county.

Evidence from Minnesota suggests that the Minneapolis protests did not correspond to a rise in cases. 8 thousand protestors were tested after the demonstrations, and only 1.4% of protestors were positive according to one source. 1.8% were positive of the 3,500 protestors tested by the Mayo Clinic. The problem with taking these numbers at face value is that the low numbers, particularly 1.4%, is that the tests were done on June 9-10, and positive test results can delayed several days after symptoms arise. People have had symptoms for over week without testing positive. This is the reason individuals are advised to quarantine for 14 days (whether or not they test positive) after making contact with someone that has had Covid-19.

In addition to Minnesota, I think the numbers coming out of NYC will be interesting this week. They had protests in similar in size to Dallas in Manhattan, Queens, Kings and Bronx counties. The largest one of 14,000 occurred last week.

Mexico reports 4,577 new cases and 759 new deaths.

That's a really bad number for a Monday, and they also had 1,044 deaths on Sunday.

I think all the people expressing relief over a few weeks of lower daily death tolls are celebrating prematurely. I've noticed that deaths can lag behind confirmed cases, especially in countries with less efficient data-collection. India is one of those countries that releases data in a sporadic manner. They reported 2,000 deaths on June 16 (1,700 more than average), and Brazil seems dumped out 55,000 cases on June 19 (25,000 more than an average and 18,000 more than their highest day). We are likely to see some pretty big daily death counts this week given some of the information on increased confirmed cases we saw last week in Central and South America, as well as Southeast Asia.

Lol. You can’t tell me those who looted Target there all got tested lol. Protestors, get tested, by the very very few in scope. Mostly mayors, governors, who attend are offered free tests and others who begged to come in to get tested.

Lol. You can’t tell me those who looted Target there all got tested lol. Protestors, get tested, by the very very few in scope. Mostly mayors, governors, who attend are offered free tests and others who begged to come in to get tested.

That's a good point. I'm just going off the data that's available to me. There isn't going to be a data set that differentiates between violent looters and peaceful demonstrators, and I don't think anyone that engaged in criminal activity would want to identify that information.

Anyway, testing was so soon after (or concurrent to) the protests that the results are extremely likely to have a negative bias. People don't immediately test positive for Covid-19 after contacting someone else infected with the virus. It takes time before the infection manifests.

Interesting. The case graph of Sweden is matching up well with what is happening in AL, TX, and FL. Looks like two distinct waves, the first with by far the most deaths and the second with far more cases but deaths per day continue to drop probably in relation to the age of the populace being infected(old to young) Sweden’s cases have fallen off a cliff in the past few days. Will be interesting if these other areas do too. AL’s daily cases have dropped significantly since the big surge two weeks ago.

Interesting. The case graph of Sweden is matching up well with what is happening in AL, TX, and FL. Looks like two distinct waves, the first with by far the most deaths and the second with far more cases but deaths per day continue to drop probably in relation to the age of the populace being infected(old to young) Sweden’s cases have fallen off a cliff in the past few days. Will be interesting if these other areas do too. AL’s daily cases have dropped significantly since the big surge two weeks ago.

Are you sure it's two distinct waves? It seems to me like Sweden is still being impacted by the first wave, which is manifesting in increased confirmed cases and lower deaths similar to the Spanish Flu in the Summer of 1918.

Based on a decent amount of historical data, areas located in the mid-latitudes do better when viruses peak in the summer months. Areas that were hit with the brunt of the Spanish Flu in the summer of 1918 weren't subject to the significantly more lethal wave seen in the fall of 1918. This is in contrast to other areas that felt the brunt of the first wave in Spring (New York City). Instead, Scandinavian countries saw high rates of infection in June and July, which resulted in a high rate of infection, but significantly lower mortality rate, as well as a greater resistance to the virus in the fall and winter. The theory is that the summer months create conditions conducive for fighting viruses in the mid and Northern Latitudes.
).

Are you sure it's two distinct waves? It seems to me like Sweden is still being impacted by the first wave, which is manifesting in increased confirmed cases and lower deaths similar to the Spanish Flu in the Summer of 1918.

Based on a decent amount of historical data, areas located in the mid-latitudes do better when viruses peak in the summer months. Areas that were hit with the brunt of the Spanish Flu in the summer of 1918 weren't subject to the significantly more lethal wave seen in the fall of 1918. This is in contrast to other areas that felt the brunt of the first wave in Spring (New York City). Instead, Scandinavian countries saw high rates of infection in June and July, which resulted in a high rate of infection, but significantly lower mortality rate, as well as a greater resistance to the virus in the fall and winter. The theory is that the summer months create conditions conducive for fighting viruses in the mid and Northern Latitudes.
).

Wave wasn’t the best choice of word, as related to viruses. I should have been more clear. I meant more of as waves of cases, related to who is being exposed.

The #1 ranked man in pro tennis, Novak Djokovic, has COVID. But he’s obviously young and fit. So, he should be ok.

Not sure if other states have started back with high school athletic practices, but in Alabama it started the first Monday in June. Several programs started the 2nd Monday and have already canceled practices due to positive tests. My town didn't even make it 2 weeks until shutting down until after the 4th. We have 2 positive athletes but the school says they are asymptomatic and did not contract it at practice. So here we go 2 weeks 2 weeks off and it's just getting started

North Carolinians are trending on Twitter. Can't be good, can it? We also jumped to over 900 hospitalizations today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back