• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Coronavirus (Stay on Topic)

Status
Not open for further replies.
GA reported changes in 24 hour increments ending on Fri 6/12 through Thu 6/18:

Date...………………...…….. Fri 6/12....Sat 6/13..Sun 6/14..Mon 6/15..Tue 6/16.....Wed 6/17..Thu 6/18

Tests (excluding antibodies): 7,493...…….13,254...…..16,286...…..7,089...……...4,218...……..15,450...…….12,696
Cases...……….......….………………....810...……….1,018...………..880...…….733...………...664...…………..952...………….882
Hospitalizations...…………………..108...…………...43.........……..24...…......74...………….132...…………….89...…………120
ICU...………………….…………..………...15...…………….8...…………….5...………..9...…………...22...…………….19...…………...25
Deaths...……………...…………...………43......………...28...…...……….5...……...43......……...….35......………….46...…………..30

Looks fine,
older people need to get off the beach and out of the pools. I heard chlorine kills it

Date...………………...…….. Fri 6/12....Sat 6/13..Sun 6/14..Mon 6/15..Tue 6/16.....Wed 6/17..Thu 6/18

Tests (excluding antibodies): 7,493...…….13,254...…..16,286...…..7,089...……...4,218...……..15,450...…….12,696
Cases...……….......….………………....810...……….1,018...………..880...…….733...………...664...…………..952...………….882
Hospitalizations...…………………..108...…………...43.........……..24...…......74...………….132...…………….89...…………120
ICU...………………….…………..………...15...…………….8...…………….5...………..9...…………...22...…………….19...…………...25
Deaths...……………...…………...………43......………...28...…...……….5...……...43......……...….35......………….46...…………..30
Not bad. Go Georgia!

Interesting Georgia doesn’t seem to be going through this spike some other states are.

Last edited:
Another mixed day nationwide. Deaths continue to fall in a very encouraging way, but new cases do seem to be truly increasing, even accounting for testing. Will this lead to an increase in deaths later on? We’ll see.

In a certain sense raw case numbers really don’t mean much in and of themselves, deaths do (and hospitalizations I suppose in the event a place runs out of hospital and/or ICU capacity, leading to excess deaths), but deaths are also a somewhat lagging indicator, so this increase in cases could lead to an increase in deaths in the next week or two. We won’t have to wait long to find out. The big Covid epicenters in the US are now Arizona, Florida, California, and Texas, although all of these sans Arizona are also big, populous states, so you have to keep that in mind.

I wonder as we enter summer and the weather gets truly hot if it is driving people indoors more in these states, and infections are more likely to happen inside.

Last edited:
It's more of a steady incline at the moment and I'm not sure if that's just because the test numbers are less than other states or people not being tested or what.
I think targeting testing also makes things hard to judge. For example, even if two states have the same per capita testing rate, if one state’s testing is completely random while another is actively seeking out testing identified hot spots (like, for example, a prison) the latter will have a higher positive rate which may not be truly indicative of a worse situation in that state).

I don’t think hot spot testing is a bad thing, but it does make things even more difficult to judge.

Yea those days are long gone. Now we just have to ride it out.
I agree, although I think it would be prudent for the governors of some of these spiking states to start requiring mask usage indoors (outside homes, obviously). But a lot of governors seem reluctant to do this because a non-trivial segment of the population is diametrically opposed to wearing masks. We have Reopen NC protestors burning masks now for crying out loud; so dumb.

It’s dumb that mask wearing become a virtue signal, too. I see some people wearing them alone in the car...

There seems to be enough evidence that mask usage reduces transmission at this point. I blame the WHO and CDC for some terrible messaging regarding masks early on that led a lot of people to think they don’t work at all, though. It’s made people a lot harder to convince now.

Last edited:
As long as the hospitalizations and deaths are not going up precipitously you are probably okay, a lot of this increase of raw number of cases can be attributed to more testing.

I agree. I don't know why people are so worried about the total number of positive cases. The average daily number of deaths has been decreasing for a few weeks. The huge majority of folks are not at risk of being hospitalized or dying. I would worry if I was 65 and older, but that has not changed since this all started. I know the number of people in the hospital in NC has risen, but I would venture most of these folks are people from rest homes and the elderly. These are the people we need to protect.

A state-funded study at Wake Forest Baptist Health shows nearly 10 percent of people tested in North Carolina have antibodies to the coronavirus.

The presence of antibodies means the people were likely previously infected, said Dr. John Walton Sanders, the chief of infectious disease for the Winston-Salem hospital, who is leading the study.

"We are getting very good evidence that most people who get infected are asymptomatic or minimally symptomatic," Sanders said. "Some of these people are feeling it a little bit – a scratchy throat, a little cough – but most of the people in our study had very few symptoms."

"We can say that 10 to 20 times the number of people who have an identified case have antibodies to the infection," he said.

A person develops the antibody to coronavirus one to two weeks after infection.

“The vast majority of people that we’ve tested for antibodies, that have been positive, have had no or very little symptoms,” Sanders said.

I agree. I don't know why people are so worried about the total number of positive cases. The average daily number of deaths has been decreasing for a few weeks. The huge majority of folks are not at risk of being hospitalized or dying. I would worry if I was 65 and older, but that has not changed since this all started. I know the number of people in the hospital in NC has risen, but I would venture most of these folks are people from rest homes and the elderly. These are the people we need to protect.
There’s also the matter over whether this increase is driven by new entrants. Are hospitals keeping people in longer than they need since they have some spare capacity and a lot of them are facing severe financial hardship after no elective procedures until recently? Or are people now coming in for elective procedures and then being found to be COVID positive? I don’t know the answers to these questions, and in North Carolina’s case, I don’t think the data on these even exists, unfortunately.

There’s also the matter over whether this increase is driven by new entrants. Are hospitals keeping people in longer than they need since they have some spare capacity and a lot of them are facing severe financial hardship after no elective procedures until recently? Or are people now coming in for elective procedures and then being found to be COVID positive? I don’t know the answers to these questions, and in North Carolina’s case, I don’t think the data on these even exists, unfortunately.

That's why I want to see the data on the demographics of those hospitalized, how many actually tested positive, how many have been released, and what the average stay is. I still think the virus is not a big deal for the majority of people and we should target those most at-risk of dying and being hospitalized, and cut down on the hysteria. From the very beginning there was evidence that this hurt those 65 and older the most. There was no need to shut everything down when the vast majority of the work force would not be affected that much even if they were infected because the vast majority of the work force is under 65. We could have closed down for a couple of weeks and sent masks to every household and it would have been just as good as closing down everything for months. I still don't get why gyms and bars are not open. I don't think the vast majority of their customers are over 65.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back