• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Coronavirus (Stay on Topic)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would like to know the demographics by age of those hospitalized in NC like they have with the deaths. I see that 83% of the deaths are those over 65, but only make up 18% of the cases, and 60% of the deaths have come from nursing homes and residential care facilities, but they only make up 15% of the cases. I think the stats would be similar for those hospitalized, too. If that is the case, these are the demographics that should be targeted to prevent hospitalization and deaths, and should allow for more people to go back to work. These stats have been consistent for a while now, and makes me think we should have at least opened up things at a limited capacity here a lot sooner than we did. A lot less people would have lost jobs, and a lot less businesses would have gone under. I don't think it was some grand conspiracy by the government, but they just didn't look at the stats and were overly cautious.

Deaths seem to be trending in a very positive (relative) direction in Florida, however...

View attachment 42297
I hope ... but ... they have a funny way of deciding if Covid is the cause of death ... and they will not allow the treating physicians or the County Medical Examiners to make that determination ... that all is done bureaucratically in Tallawhacky ... literally someone with an underlying condition (toe nail fungus) can have Covid and die and the State can (and seemingly will) attribute it to respiratory failure due to toe nail fungus ...

I hope ... but ... they have a funny way of deciding if Covid is the cause of death ... and they will not allow the treating physicians or the County Medical Examiners to make that determination ... that all is done bureaucratically in Tallawhacky ... literally someone with an underlying condition (toe nail fungus) can have Covid and die and the State can (and seemingly will) attribute it to respiratory failure due to toe nail fungus ...
Looks like excess mortality in FL has returned to basically zero over “normal” levels, FWIW (this guy was retweeted by Nate Silver, so hopefully he’s credible). I don’t know if there’s some caveats here that this data might not be capturing, though.

Last edited:
On a national level, the long, steady decline continues... Record testing today, as well. I think you have to be encouraged that the initial reopening did not really cause meaningful spikes, though the jury is still out on the more recent, loosened reopenings that have happened in the last couple weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back