Coronavirus (Stay on Topic)

• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!
Status
Not open for further replies.
Another death from High Point tied to Tyson in Wilkes. Also today’s announcement confirms 3rd outbreak here at Rose Glenn villages.

My educated guess is that we’re headed to 300-500K US deaths for the total pandemic. ?

Saw on TV today that the basic curve in a pandemic is that from the point the peak is obtained there would/could be as many deaths on the downward slope of the curve so basically a doubling if the deaths at peak.

Just some talking heads so not sure of its accuracy.

I’m a little curious about these models. Are social distancing efforts part of the predictions? With recent numbers flat and declining in so many areas, where are the higher predictions coming from?

Current infections/testing/daily case rate/openings all go into the equation. NC’s was upped definitely due to starting phased opening.

Saw on TV today that the basic curve in a pandemic is that from the point the peak is obtained there would/could be as many deaths on the downward slope of the curve so basically a doubling if the deaths at peak.

Just some talking heads so not sure of its accuracy.
and that assumes a continuous downward trend on infections from the "peak" ... ever walked in the mountains, ridge top to ridge top? Down, up, down up ...

The IHME update halved Georgia’s deaths to around 2k and increased NC’s by over 250% to over 4k. Huh??? I don’t get it. Seems off to me. I don’t see how NC finishes off with more deaths than GA.

It appears they think GA has hit its peak cases/day and deaths/day already. And NC is still a month out. It’s confusing because of the vague methodology, we don’t know exactly why.

Reactions: superjames1992
My educated guess is that we’re headed to 300-500K US deaths for the total pandemic.

Not far off probably. We are forgetting fall and winter. And subsequent fall and winter of 21-22 as well. Sigh...we’re in this for the long run. Hopefully sports return in 2021 after a vaccine. I can’t see college basketball or football being played this season

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Thank You
Reactions: Heelyes and GaWx
Not far off probably. We are forgetting fall and winter. And subsequent fall and winter of 21-22 as well. Sigh...we’re in this for the long run. Hopefully sports return in 2021 after a vaccine. I can’t see college basketball or football being played this season

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A.friend of mine goes into the next phase of a clinical trial with in hospital patients to test another anti-viral after the hydroxchlorine failure. Shes a bit nervous of being with the covid patients but she knows this research is needed.

If we can get a treatment that just keeps people off ventilators thats a huge deal.

I can't imagine them not fighting very hard to avoid cancelling college football. Because if they cancel that, you are going to see mid major and small schools have to shutter some of their sports forever as well. At the ABSOLUTE MOST...I can see spring, maybe (which would be odd for sure).

If you do see a season played, it might be the end of the NCAA controlling things actually and it could potentially be a huge blow to the Pac 12 (which was declining already). Although California basically said they're going full online for fall already, Emmert also said recently that they are going to leave it up to the conferences on what they want to do. It could POSSIBLY be a case in which the Pac 12 decides to not play but other areas do.

Greg Sankey said that they would be willing to do a round robin SEC schedule if needed, but also said that we won't play if you can't do it safely. That does not sound good, but considering there have been talks about restarting other sports without a vaccine, it doesn't rule out the SEC playing (and I would probably say they're the most likely conference to).

As it is, if you think that you can't do any sports without a vaccine, it could well go longer than the rest of 2020. The fastest vaccine so far has been 4 years...

So the doc told my nephews today they had to shave their heads. Has anyone else been told this if positive?

I cant stress enough how important it is for our policy makers to be watching the roadmap that's unfolding in front of us.

Germany's ministry of health announced today that R-value has fallen back below 1. There was an article posted in this thread yesterday from the BBC indicating that rise in numbers in Germany was due to a couple outbreaks at meat packing plants.

The reality is that until there's a vaccine, the virus is going to continue to spread. Period. A perpetual (12-month +) lock-down isn't realistic so we need to find happy medium. Folks (mainly media) seem to be actively rooting against places that have eased restrictions like Georgia, Florida, Germany, Sweden (never had lock-down), etc. seemingly so they can be proven "right" that reopening was a bad idea. I think we need to realize that we, as a society, are going to have to find a way to live life/co-exist with this virus prevalent for at least the short-term future.

Shouldn't we all be rooting FOR places that have re-opened to have relative "success" so they can pave the way for a successful reopening of other cities and countries around the world? Is that too much to ask? Probably so, given society's propensity for dissension these days...

Some of the states that skeptics were most worried about, including Florida and Georgia, haven’t seen the rise in total cases that some experts feared.

• Florida’s new cases have actually declined by 14% compared to the previous week, and Georgia’s fell by 12%.
Heres the link to article.

High-risk states are seeing fewer new coronavirus cases
Sam Baker
Sam Baker

Some of the states that skeptics were most worried about, including Florida and Georgia, haven’t seen the rise in total cases that some experts feared.

• Florida’s new cases have actually declined by 14% compared to the previous week, and Georgia’s fell by 12%.
Heres the link to article.

High-risk states are seeing fewer new coronavirus cases
Sam Baker
Sam Baker
Do you forget the key thing about the virus being dormant for up to 2 weeks? Give it time and we will see.

Status
Not open for further replies.