• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Coronavirus (Stay on Topic)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Governor Cooper is expected to announce Walmart employee testing this afternoon.

I'll reply just once because I don't want to turn this into a political thread.

Like I said above, the first thing he should have done is taken a different tone publicly. He could have also used the time to make sure that our country had all the resources needed (tests; PPE, etc), and prepared the nation psychologically for what was coming. He--and others--were caught flat-footed. I think that is more than fair to say.

Some say it's unfair; that no one could have seen it coming. Perhaps. But in the end, this is price of leadership, rightly or wrongly. And I speak as someone who is the leader of an organization.

I don't think we were caught flat-footed. The response was intentional. To what end, I don't know. There is no way you could have possibly said in January that there would be no reall issues here in the US, especially with the intelligence apparatus that we have. Even a knucklehead like me could see that a pandemic was coming a mile away.

So, you could make the argument that the public comments were meant to soothe the public or businesses or equity markets or whatever, while behind the curtain, lots of preparations were taking place. However, that all falls apart when it is apparent that very few things started actually happen until things started getting serious here.

That's when we started getting a better response and saw much more positive action taking place. Even then, things started happening slowly and there was lots of disorganization.

So, either, our government is completely clueless at every level, or

Some people tried to warn leadership early on and were dismissed, or

People and experts were intentionally trying to mislead the leadership early on, saying there was no problem, or

All levels of government from Trump down the line knew it was going to be a problem and the response flow evolved as it did....denial followed by acceptance with no plan followed by positive action and response after a crisis was unfolding.

The WHO did virtually the same thing. It's hard for me to believe that this is all just a coincidence and that everyone was just old grandpa joe behind the curve and slow on the draw. No, everyone knew what was going on and what was coming.

So why did we get the initial reactions we got from governments and health organizations? I have no idea, but I do fully believe it was intentional, and not because everyone was just clueless.

He implemented travel restrictions against China on Jan. 31st, and declared a national Public Health Emergency the same day. What more were you wanting prior to Feb?

EDIT: I almost forgot - even prior to Jan. 31st, the administration ordered American diplomats and citizens to depart Wuhan on Jan. 23rd.

He and The WH corono team is where the states got their lead,info and assistance on a whole plethora in regards to supplies and logistics. Been a great team effort country wide save a few who didnt want to waste the crisis for political gain. Excellent job. Lets attack this next crisis (unemployment) while staying vigillant after the Wuhan Bug. Once we get everyone rolling again,opened up. We need to get these supply chains fixed, get back to fixing the rest of these trade deals that caused the self inflicted wounds to Small town America and the blue collar and middle class.

This could be huge. Makes you have to completely rethink the stay at home orders and may add to the NYC numbers of by far most hospitalized coming from those at home. It may also explain why southern and western states are much less impacted.

This could be huge. Makes you have to completely rethink the stay at home orders and may add to the NYC numbers of by far most hospitalized coming from those at home. It may also explain why southern and western states are much less impacted.

This may be one reason why viruses are worse in winter.

By the way, I take 2,000 units per day of vitamin D orally.

So, you could make the argument that the public comments were meant to soothe the public or businesses or equity markets or whatever, while behind the curtain, lots of preparations were taking place. However, that all falls apart when it is apparent that very few things started actually happen until things started getting serious here.

That's simply not accurate. Look at the timeline of actions in January (I've already mentioned a few of these):

Jan. 7th: CDC established an Incident Management System to closely monitor "a reported cluster of pneumonia of unknown etiology (PUE) with possible epidemiologic links to a large wholesale fish and live animal market in Wuhan City, Hubei Province, China".

Jan. 10th: CDC announced it would begin screening airline passengers for symptoms at JFK, SFO and LAX airports.

Jan. 17th: the CDC issued criteria to guide "evaluation of patients under investigation (PUI) for 2019-nCoV, prevention and infection control guidance"

Jan. 21st: CDC activated their Emergency Operations Center on the same day that the first case of the virus was diagnosed in the US.

Jan. 23rd: the State Department issued a Level 4 (Do Not Travel) Advisory for Wuhan, advising American citizens of "an ongoing outbreak of pneumonia first identified in Wuhan, China, caused by a novel (new) coronavirus".

Jan. 31st: the White House issued a "Proclamation on Suspension of Entry" for "all aliens who were physically present within the People’s Republic of China during the 14-day period preceding their entry or attempted entry into the United States" - this was done contrary to WHO guidance, btw ("In fact, we oppose it" the WHO Director General said at the time).

Also Jan. 31st: the Administration declares a national Public Health Emergency (just one day after WHO's PHEIC declaration).

So with the confirmed case from an outside vendor our plant does the "smart" thing. They start temp checking......bit late for that.......then they are making everyone come in one entrance and through 1 tunnel with 1 door. So roughly 100 to 200 people depending on day or night shift will all touch the SAME DAMN DOORKNOB. If the 2nd person in line is asymptomatic the other 98 will come in contact with the virus because it's one door one way in and out.

So with the confirmed case from an outside vendor our plant does the "smart" thing. They start temp checking......bit late for that.......then they are making everyone come in one entrance and through 1 tunnel with 1 door. So roughly 100 to 200 people depending on day or night shift will all touch the SAME DAMN DOORKNOB. If the 2nd person in line is asymptomatic the other 98 will come in contact with the virus because it's one door one way in and out.
around here most doors now got the push lever with your foot. That occurred back in late March.

Interesting report here in the New York Times; apparently the chains of infection within most regions of the US (including four-fifths of the cases in the Southeast) originated in NYC.

1588977828519.png

Brazil and Russia are having a coronavirus outbreak.
Brazil - 9,635 new cases and 709 new deaths. Total number: 145,328 cases and 9,897 deaths.
Russia - 10,699 new cases and 98 new deaths. Total number: 187,589 cases and 1,723 deaths.

Drive through testing at Walmart parking lots will be coming soon to several counties this month. Including Guilford & Wilkes.

Interesting report here in the New York Times; apparently the chains of infection within most regions of the US (including four-fifths of the cases in the Southeast) originated in NYC.

View attachment 41127

remember Trump wanted to seal NYC off but the NY politicians said that would be racist

Coronavirus: Trump 'considering quarantining New York' https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-52079121

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back