• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Coronavirus (Stay on Topic)

Status
Not open for further replies.
View attachment 40875

Seriously though do you work out doors or in a factory with no temp regulations?
I work outside myself and wearing any mask for long durations with temps above 80 and humidity is just difficult for everyone. Multiply that with heat and humidity to come and it will become unbearable for more than 5 minutes. I can say if you're in a greenhouse with a mask in the middle of summer, the heat index can get really high. It's hard enough when it's in the high 90s without a mask.

In 2-4 weeks everyone is going to be asking wHy AlL tHe NeW cAsEs? I went to lowes yesterday to look for a new fridge since mine is on the fritz, I was the only person with a mask. Unreal.

I went to Lowes Online and bought a new storm door. I spent 10 minutes in the Customer service line with a stream of people walking in, to then be given a receipt and sent to the Pro Desk. Line was another 20 minutes at the pro desk. Spent more time in the store when i bought it online then i would have if i just walked in.

The optics of allowing hundreds of people in Hobby Lobby but preventing churches from gathering is not a good look. I’ve been supportive of the Governor so far, but if he retains the stay at home today while allowing Hobby Lobby to be open, then I might have to consider doing something I really don’t want to do.
Did your Daycare ever open back up?

I work outside myself and wearing any mask for long durations with temps above 80 and humidity is just difficult for everyone. Multiply that with heat and humidity to come and it will become unbearable for more than 5 minutes. I can say if you're in a greenhouse with a mask in the middle of summer, the heat index can get really high. It's hard enough when it's in the high 90s without a mask.
In the past if our guys wanted an N-95 they had to pass a pulmonary fit test because they do restrict air flow. We've eased that given the current environment but they do present problems.

Im not gonna lie. Sometimes i completely forget about the virus when im out in public. I rarely see people wearing masks, and I have to consciously remind myself to stay 6 feet apart from people. I've gotten with 1 or 2 feet of people more times than I would like to admit.
Yeah, stuff is opening up fast now around my area. We have a few cases show up everyday but no hospitalizations. Looks like our threat from the virus is almost nil here. Masks are fewer and fewer and people are not necessarily staying six feet apart. I think in two weeks everything will be back to pre-virus levels of contact and activity.

Matrix Medical Network has arrived to provide testing here finally. One additional outbreak has occurred at Wilkes Senior village aside from Tyson Foods as of today.

I used to load trailers at UPS when I was in college and for a while after I graduated. We got mini Gatorade if RDU hit 97+ i don't know what that equated to in the hub or the trailers felt like 200

We use to have handstack unloads coming over on metal containers. We would build loads by hand and someone with a clamp truck come in and get them as we built them. Trailers would be so hit they could burn you if you touched the walls. We dont do those anymore thankfully but floor temps at the machines can hit upper 90s.

Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam has indicated he expects his state to enter Phase 1 next week. It appears inevitable that May will see the ending of these lockdown policies across much of the country.

It looks like North Carolina will enter phase 1 this weekend, as well. And other states with worse situations, such as Colorado and Georgia, have already begun reopening. It could be too early, but it’s becoming clear that people are starting to crack and the job losses continue to pile up with each successive week.

Unemployment in NC is likely to be north of 20% in May if the 1 million unemployment claims being filed in the last month is any indication. Insane!

My parents went to the local YMCA today. They took temperatures before you could go in, and there wasn't many people in there and it seemed like there wasn't a lot of demand at least from how my dad was talking about it (there was just 6 other people in there I believe). The Augusta area is the one of the few areas in Georgia that got green lit to open all of the Y's (the ones on the SC side didn't though).

From the way the neighborhood looked though, my dad was like "I think people around us don't realize that we're starting to open". But we then came to a realization that a lot of people might have lost their job.

I think they got the green light honestly because things continue to remain relatively calm here though. There are hundreds of cases in the metro areas, but at least on the surface if you look at inpatient cases, especially if you know how huge MCG/AU Health is, unless there are other issues happening as well at the same time, that hospital at the very least, is nowhere near the ballpark of having problems. I'm not sure on University Hospital (they are reporting more inpatients, but there's more than one UH in the area) and the final major hospital that isn't military is the same case as the first one, they're nowhere near unless you have other problems going on.

Honestly, I'm surprised that MCG hasn't taken a few more rural Georgia patients to be honest. As I know there's a couple major hospitals that have. They did take a few Albany patients, but so far, if they're doing anything more, they haven't commented yet.

The IHME model was updated today. Increased projected deaths from 72k to 134k with an uncertainty interval (not sure if they’re using a 95% CI or what) of between 95k and 242k. Probably more closely in touch with reality now. The model had previously been forecasting a very steep downward slope of the death curve that really hasn’t transpired much of anywhere (in the USA or abroad).

134k would put us around 400 deaths per million, which is around what France and the UK are at now and lower than Italy, Spain, and Belgium (granted, these countries will accrue more deaths in the interim, too).

UNC Charlotte announces 2 week delay for Fall classes. Further delay or cancellation possible.

Coronavirus: Scientists hail 'groundbreaking' discovery of antibody which prevents infection

Building on research into antibodies which target the SARS coronavirus, scientists have identified one that blocks COVID-19.
Alexander J Martin, technology reporter
Alexander Martin
Technology reporter @AlexMartin

Estimated 25,000 Retail Stores will close for good this year. Articke Washingtom Post. Mall vacancy already at 9%. These are big stores and will trickle down tobthe mom n pap small stores that feed off the traffic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back