• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Coronavirus (Stay on Topic)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Past - "This can't be compared to the Flu" (even though it really wasn't; there was an effort to do some statistical evaluations/comparisons.) Folks were hammered for even attempting to bring a bit of clarity and common sense to the situation..

Present - As more and more studies are done showing the true infection rates are dramatically higher. oh, wait; now it's ok to compare to the Flu but only because it's worse and the death rates are 2-4x times higher than the Flu; an extremely convenient forget the past..

Future - Who knows however unless there's a miracle the economy is toast and people will suffer. We can be pretty sure whatever is said in the future will fit the narrative of the moment though..

We really should've focused on the most vulnerable and of course China should've disclosed the proper information at the very beginning however we can't go back yet we still hear about going back except we can't go back but now for the present it's kindof amazing how the very recent past is conveniently forgotten now that the narrative can be twisted yet again.

weeeee…….

Honestly some of those places aren't exactly hot right now either. Ecuador just as an example, at about this time period, at least one person said their average is not exactly mid 80s+ right now but more like in the 70s, and although the upper 70s and sun can even be uncomfortable, it sounds like that's not enough. Seems like it has to be mid 80s+ with a certain amount of humidity to get the virus to decay.

You know, I just put "Ecuador temperature" in google and it has the highs in the 60s for the time being in one area. Mexico might be a better example than Ecuador if there's problems (and even Mexico's climate can be mixed).

I haven't paid attention with Australia anymore but I remember that their initial wave was largely travel based and I "think" they had started to plateau relatively quickly initially when they put in restrictions, but in the case of them, they're going into winter too, so they could have seen a rise recently. But if Australia had started to plateau initially, they might be a potential summer example.

Yes, a lot of the northern South American capitals (ex: Quito, Bogota) are very high in elevation, so they often have average high/lows around 70/50 all year. And depending on whether it's rainy season or not, it can be quite dry, too. Mexico City is also similar. So they're not very warm at all.

What's rough is reading stories from folks that are going on 40 days with symptoms off and on. Sometimes mild and sometimes worse. That's not doing a body any good at all.
I know you don't agree, but I do not believe this is a natural virus. I'm worried about eventual mutations and or long term repercussions of those that have been infected, whether they showed symptoms or not so far.

Interesting look into the battle over chloroquine, there is a reason Trump does not talk about it anymore.....the plan to push this drug out to the public was stopped and its being only used in hospitals under constant doctor supervision in extreme cases only and even then the real impact its having is hard to determine....

"The plan triggered frantic pushback within federal health agencies against the idea of giving pharmacies enough chloroquine for doctors to prescribe it off-label for Covid-19, and against running what would have amounted to a loosely controlled, nationwide trial of the drug using patients who were not under constant care.

In response to Vanity Fair's reporting, an HHS spokesperson said the agency ultimately decided against the plan. Trump has not mentioned chloroquine as a treatment for Covid-19 during his daily briefings for nearly a week. The White House didn't immediately respond to a request for comment."

Last edited:
The more articles I read about these I am growing more skeptical of these numbers of 2.7 million and the high rates in california.

Non peer reviewed and validated by themselves with no outside verification? Yeah count me as skeptical the numbers are as high as they are claiming.

Interesting look into the battle over chloroquine, there is a reason Trump does not talk about it anymore.....the plan to push this drug out to the public was stopped and its being only used in hospitals under constant doctor supervision in extreme cases only and even then the real impact its having is hard to determine....

"The plan triggered frantic pushback within federal health agencies against the idea of giving pharmacies enough chloroquine for doctors to prescribe it off-label for Covid-19, and against running what would have amounted to a loosely controlled, nationwide trial of the drug using patients who were not under constant care.

In response to Vanity Fair's reporting, an HHS spokesperson said the agency ultimately decided against the plan. Trump has not mentioned chloroquine as a treatment for Covid-19 during his daily briefings for nearly a week. The White House didn't immediately respond to a request for comment."

Yeah, at this point we haven’t been able to replicate the outcomes or justify the use without increasing significant risk to the patient. Always have to weigh if the risk outweighs the benefit, which is what pharmacists and doctors judge all day. In this case, the cardiovascular complications outweigh any moderate or slight benefit of it’s use. Hydroxychloroquine was always questioned given the initial small trial data. This makes sense that outpatient (Rx went to pharmacies) use won’t happen because if anyone is outside of the hospital, they have a “mild case” and risk outweighs benefit.

When you’re throwing the kitchen sink at patients in hospitals because they’re dying, they may get better on their own and we may learn eventually that it was the azithromycin that prevented secondary bacteria pneumonia that was preventing these patients from deterioration....and not Hydroxychloroquine. But that only proves that of course you should use prophylactic antibiotic treatment in these patients as a way to prevent secondary infections — that’s well known and used in many situations in hospitalized patients already. Nothing to see here...

Last edited:
Yeah, at this point we haven’t been able to replicate the outcomes or justify the use without increasing significant risk to the patient. Always have to weigh if the risk outweighs the benefit, which is what pharmacists and doctors judge all day. In this case, the cardiovascular complications outweigh any moderate or slight benefit of it’s use. Hydroxychloroquine was always questioned given the initial small trial data. This makes sense that outpatient (Rx went to pharmacies) use won’t happen because if anyone is outside of the hospital, they have a “mild case” and risk outweighs benefit.

When you’re throwing the kitchen sink at patients in hospitals because they’re dying, they may get better on their own and we may learn eventually that it was the azithromycin that prevented secondary bacteria pneumonia that was preventing these patients from deterioration....and not Hydroxychloroquine. But that only proves that of course you should use prophylactic antibiotic treatment in these patients as a way to prevent secondary infections — that’s well known and used in many situations in hospitalized patients already. Nothing to see here...

Yeah the early trials were the opposite of science.....bottom line we still have no idea what if any benefit there is from giving a patient Hydroxychloroquine, this idea it was some miracle cure that would save everyone was a pipe dream from day one.

Yeah the early trials were the opposite of science.....bottom line we still have no idea what if any benefit there is from giving a patient Hydroxychloroquine, this idea it was some miracle cure that would save everyone was a pipe dream from day one.
It wasn't touted as a "miracle cure". I don't know where you got that from? It was only helpful in preventing the bad cases from becoming deaths. Not a cure....

It wasn't touted as a "miracle cure". I don't know where you got that from? It was only helpful in preventing the bad cases from becoming deaths. Not a cure....

But it has not helped any at all though, according to studies done in the US there is little to no evidence that it helps at all, in fact a recent study done in the US show the opposite, it actually was associated with MORE death than the people not given those treatments....the second article has a lot of good information and shows why my point stands that HC was pushed by the Trump team and far right pundits as a "cure", Trump was desperate to be seen as providing a fix or a answer and in typical Trump fashion he hammered the FDA and other groups for not doing enough to ignore the guidelines and rules set in place to prevent using these type pf drugs in ways that could do harm because Trump went off half baked and unproven advice, now they have the data suggesting it isn't helping and could be hurting people and Trump and his team and pundits have all but stopped talking about it completely. Here is the latest from the FDA on it.....they caution against using it.

Article highlighting the Trump push of this drug and how they have backed away from it since the release of the below study....

"And the president followed suit. “HYDROXYCHLOROQUINE & AZITHROMYCIN, taken together, have a real chance to be one of the biggest game changers in the history of medicine,” wrote Donald Trump on March 21, in just one example of the numerous times he promoted the unproven COVID-19 treatment. “Hopefully they will BOTH…be put in use IMMEDIATELY. PEOPLE ARE DYING, MOVE FAST.” And yet, after weeks hawking the drug as a miracle cure, both the network and the president have quietly abandoned it amid new studies showing it has no positive effects on COVID-19 patients and, in fact, could result in more deaths."

Link to the actual study.....though this still is not the best study as it is retrospective and we still need to wait for the outcome of some ongoing double blind studies being done, this however does highlight the higher number of deaths associated with the use of the drug than seen in other studies.

METHODS: We performed a retrospective analysis of data from patients hospitalized with confirmed SARS-CoV-2 infection in all United States Veterans Health Administration medical centers until April 11, 2020. Patients were categorized based on their exposure to hydroxychloroquine alone (HC) or with azithromycin (HC+AZ) as treatments in addition to standard supportive management for Covid-19. The two primary outcomes were death and the need for mechanical ventilation. We determined the association between treatment and the primary outcomes using competing risk hazard regression adjusting for clinical characteristics via propensity scores

RESULTS: A total of 368 patients were evaluated (HC, n=97; HC+AZ, n=113; no HC, n=158). Rates of death in the HC, HC+AZ, and no HC groups were 27.8%, 22.1%, 11.4%, respectively. Rates of ventilation in the HC, HC+AZ, and no HC groups were 13.3%, 6.9%, 14.1%, respectively. Compared to the no HC group, the risk of death from any cause was higher in the HC group (adjusted hazard ratio, 2.61; 95% CI, 1.10 to 6.17; P=0.03) but not in the HC+AZ group (adjusted hazard ratio, 1.14; 95% CI, 0.56 to 2.32; P=0.72). The risk of ventilation was similar in the HC group (adjusted hazard ratio, 1.43; 95% CI, 0.53 to 3.79; P=0.48) and in the HC+AZ group (adjusted hazard ratio, 0.43; 95% CI, 0.16 to 1.12; P=0.09), compared to the no HC group. CONCLUSIONS: In this study, we found no evidence that use of hydroxychloroquine, either with or without azithromycin, reduced the risk of mechanical ventilation in patients hospitalized with Covid-19. An association of increased overall mortality was identified in patients treated with hydroxychloroquine alone. These findings highlight the importance of awaiting the results of ongoing prospective, randomized, controlled studies before widespread adoption of these drugs.

Here is the latest from the FDA on it.....they caution against using it.

That's not entirely true - the FDA warns against using it outside of a supervised hospital setting (which only makes sense at this point).

1587856366051.png

But it has not helped any at all though, according to studies done in the US there is little to no evidence that it helps at all, in fact a recent study done in the US show the opposite, it actually was associated with MORE death than the people not given those treatments....the second article has a lot of good information and shows why my point stands that HC was pushed by the Trump team and far right pundits as a "cure", Trump was desperate to be seen as providing a fix or a answer and in typical Trump fashion he hammered the FDA and other groups for not doing enough to ignore the guidelines and rules set in place to prevent using these type pf drugs in ways that could do harm because Trump went off half baked and unproven advice, now they have the data suggesting it isn't helping and could be hurting people and Trump and his team and pundits have all but stopped talking about it completely. Here is the latest from the FDA on it.....they caution against using it.

Article highlighting the Trump push of this drug and how they have backed away from it since the release of the below study....

"And the president followed suit. “HYDROXYCHLOROQUINE & AZITHROMYCIN, taken together, have a real chance to be one of the biggest game changers in the history of medicine,” wrote Donald Trump on March 21, in just one example of the numerous times he promoted the unproven COVID-19 treatment. “Hopefully they will BOTH…be put in use IMMEDIATELY. PEOPLE ARE DYING, MOVE FAST.” And yet, after weeks hawking the drug as a miracle cure, both the network and the president have quietly abandoned it amid new studies showing it has no positive effects on COVID-19 patients and, in fact, could result in more deaths."

Link to the actual study.....though this still is not the best study as it is retrospective and we still need to wait for the outcome of some ongoing double blind studies being done, this however does highlight the higher number of deaths associated with the use of the drug than seen in other studies.

METHODS: We performed a retrospective analysis of data from patients hospitalized with confirmed SARS-CoV-2 infection in all United States Veterans Health Administration medical centers until April 11, 2020. Patients were categorized based on their exposure to hydroxychloroquine alone (HC) or with azithromycin (HC+AZ) as treatments in addition to standard supportive management for Covid-19. The two primary outcomes were death and the need for mechanical ventilation. We determined the association between treatment and the primary outcomes using competing risk hazard regression adjusting for clinical characteristics via propensity scores

RESULTS: A total of 368 patients were evaluated (HC, n=97; HC+AZ, n=113; no HC, n=158). Rates of death in the HC, HC+AZ, and no HC groups were 27.8%, 22.1%, 11.4%, respectively. Rates of ventilation in the HC, HC+AZ, and no HC groups were 13.3%, 6.9%, 14.1%, respectively. Compared to the no HC group, the risk of death from any cause was higher in the HC group (adjusted hazard ratio, 2.61; 95% CI, 1.10 to 6.17; P=0.03) but not in the HC+AZ group (adjusted hazard ratio, 1.14; 95% CI, 0.56 to 2.32; P=0.72). The risk of ventilation was similar in the HC group (adjusted hazard ratio, 1.43; 95% CI, 0.53 to 3.79; P=0.48) and in the HC+AZ group (adjusted hazard ratio, 0.43; 95% CI, 0.16 to 1.12; P=0.09), compared to the no HC group. CONCLUSIONS: In this study, we found no evidence that use of hydroxychloroquine, either with or without azithromycin, reduced the risk of mechanical ventilation in patients hospitalized with Covid-19. An association of increased overall mortality was identified in patients treated with hydroxychloroquine alone. These findings highlight the importance of awaiting the results of ongoing prospective, randomized, controlled studies before widespread adoption of these drugs.
I stand corrected.... I had not realized that the drug had no benefit at all. I am not afraid to admit when I am mistaken. Thanks for the data @Downeastnc

I stand corrected.... I had not realized that the drug had no benefit at all. I am not afraid to admit when I am mistaken. Thanks for the data @Downeastnc

Disappointing data. We need something to work. If there is a viable treatment that we know works then we open everything back up immediately instead of these staggered restarts .

Well its to early to say that as well....the point is there is not enough hard science to show that it helps, and some that shows that it hurts .....there could absolutely be some instances where it does help, that's why they do the double blind studies.....my point about Trump was he and others pushed this without knowing based on things they read that they WANTED to be true.....if Trump had his way they would have been prescribing this for potentially millions of people with mild cases to take at home outside of the care and observations of doctors and based on some of the data we now know that could have led to a lot of complications.

Interesting....

In the Politics thread, I had also posted about this yesterday asking if this could possibly be legit. (In what I posted, it was referenced by a You-Tube site.) I got several responses (which I appreciate, thank you) with a mix of opinions and I’m still wondering. Dr. Erickson is criticizing Dr. Fauci, who is revered here by many including myself and even some Trump supporters. In the interest of being open-minded enough to consider all sides assuming legitimate and sufficient data, I’ll ask again: could this be legit?

Here was my post: go there if you want to see the responses to it

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back