• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern August 2023 Thread

Got nothing here and today is a bust. Guess I'm down to tomorrow huh? Very little hope for the tropical system to bring anything.
Take a look at NW Georgia west of Atlanta. They are getting pounded. Some of that may come up I-85 later. The tropical system is coming west a little, but probably will not drop any rain on the I-85 corridor. Maybe a little rain along highway 72 and southeast and that's it.

Take a look at NW Georgia west of Atlanta. They are getting pounded. Some of that may come up I-85 later. The tropical system is coming west a little, but probably will not drop any rain on the I-85 corridor. Maybe a little rain along highway 72 and southeast and that's it.
This isn’t an exaggeration, this rain reminds me a little of September 2009, pounded is the correct term.

This isn’t an exaggeration, this rain reminds me a little of September 2009, pounded is the correct term.
That's the 1st thing I thought of when looking at that radar, but this should not be that bad. There are some counties east of ATL this does not need to go into though.

This would be bad for downtown Atlanta too and the storms are not very far from there.

I sure hope we get some tonight or tomorrow. I'm struggling bad up here the last 2-3 weeks. My grass is getting in bad shape and I've pretty much punted Idalia or whatever her name is giving anything ??

Just a few spinkles yesterday, no rain today, and probably no rain from Idalia. It's going to get really dry in September. Hope we don't have a repeat of 2016 with all the fires.

Everything aouth and east of here again tonight. I swear WRAL had a 60% and 70% chance of rain in their forecast for this past weekend and today, and I didn't get a drop here.

Honestly, that was the worst pounding rain in a long time here. It literally took me what would be at best a 30 minute drive from my daughter’s tumbling class close to downtown Marietta to my house in West Cobb over hour and half to get home. Traffic lights out and water on the roads. Got 3.58 inches of rain from it. Wasn’t expecting that much rain for today.

Not sure what the totals are but it poured for a good 30 minutes. Torrential downpour here in northern Spartanburg.

3.48” overnight on top of .64” yesterday afternoon. Flash flood warnings woke us up but I was already dreaming about flooding. I’m about to go down to the creek to see the damage.

Well, it looks like the same areas get hit again today that got it yesterday. Going to have to hope the tropical system comes west for any real rain here.

The 6z GFS continues to show the cool wedge setting up for Thursday. The overnight euro started to show the cool(er) temps as well.

6z GFS for midday Thursday:
1693305470263.png

even with the rain, it would be nice to open a few windows.

Athens had zero rain from the systems over the last two days. Hoping we cash in a little from Idalia bands, but not holding on to much hope there.

3.48” overnight on top of .64” yesterday afternoon. Flash flood warnings woke us up but I was already dreaming about flooding. I’m about to go down to the creek to see the damage.
I ended up with 4.1” in 24 hours. 10.1” for August.

Only .60 for the event here and that will be my final total unless we get lucky. Nothing coming from the hurricane either, so the analog to 2016 is underway here. It gets hot after the weekend and stays that way into the foreseeable future.

Back