• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern April Showers

Geez the back having of the first week of April looks cold ugh

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Put me in the camp of being ready for pleasant weather please. This March has gone pretty much as expected, 40N is a winter wonderland, CLT is a cold rain paradise.

I could do without rain in general for a while as well. What happened to Nina's being dry? Lol.

the Euro actually had snow here...:rolleyes:

Some of the EPS members are record breaking cold. In April. The all-time record low is only 29

We’re entering the heart of the tornado season in central NC, there’s usually a huge ramp up right near the end of March and we peak in/around mid April. Probably won’t be long before something substantial shows up
4F3714F8-F579-4115-8570-91E1161187FE.png

We’re entering the heart of the tornado season in central NC, there’s usually a huge ramp up right near the end of March and we peak in/around mid April. Probably won’t be long before something substantial shows up
View attachment 4840
Not always I would think. Maybe we can skip a major outbreak even out there this year. Running quite low so far for the entire year.

Not always I would think. Maybe we can skip a major outbreak even out there this year. Running quite low so far for the entire year.

Certainly not always but it's only late March, April and May are the peak months for severe and we've been in a cold pattern since the end of February and we still were able to come away w/ a MDT in northern AL. We're at the equivalent to July in the hurricane season, we have 90% of the tornado season left to go nationally and most of it will occur in the next several weeks. Even if we kept this same chilly pattern going forward, big intrusions of cold air can eventually turn against us later in the spring (mid-late Apr) as our climo becomes warm enough to augment enough CAPE almost regardless of what's thrown at us.
torgraph-big.png

I thought March and April were the peak months for severe in the deep south ? By May its usually very summer like with those pop up afternoon storms. Jet stream is usually pretty far north in May.

I thought March and April were the peak months for severe in the deep south ? By May its usually very summer like with those pop up afternoon storms. Jet stream is usually pretty far north in May.

April, May, and June are usually the peak for all severe weather types in the south, depending on where u go it may be one month or the other, but April and May w/ March not being far behind, are typically most favorable for tornadoes in the south. By about late May we certainly enter the summer-like barotropic environment w/ pulse thunderstorms dominating the pattern from day-to-day.
Screen Shot 2018-03-26 at 5.09.37 PM.png

Birmingham & Huntsville tornado climatology.
Screen Shot 2018-03-26 at 5.09.55 PM.png

Columbia, SC tornado climatology
Screen Shot 2018-03-26 at 5.12.15 PM.png

Atlanta, GA tornado climatology.

Screen Shot 2018-03-26 at 5.11.58 PM.png

May is certainly the peak here although April is no slouch either

Usually were not in a summer pattern til early June

Simple. It's hour 222, bound to change drastically. Let's watch it warm up because it's spring. I'm sure you don't want a 4th dessert after 2 was enough nor does anyone else want NC to have more. I'm ready for some warmer weather but not tornadoes and hurricanes. Definitely not after last year.

It's baaacckk. :confused:
index.php.png

No. I refuse to accept that Fake News. LOL. It will be gone by 0Z tonight. I guarantee it.

If it's not gone by the 0z run tonight and/or reappears within the next few days I'm blaming you for this :p.

Its amazing. Have to scratch and claw between December and February to get anything close. Start looking for spring can't miss it ]

Tell me about it. 1914-15 was literally that kind of winter. After seeing a big dog in mid November, we scratched and clawed for anything in DJF and saw nothing of significance until we thought winter was beyond over, then came late March and April w/ back-to-back big dogs...
November 19-20 1914 NC Snowmap.png

March 30-31 1915 NC Snowmap.png
April 2-3 1915 NC Snowmap.png

I can see this summer taking on the classic TN valley, KY, MS, AL wet/flood zone, like setting up this week and the SE ridge keeping the Carolinas toasty and dry!

Back