• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry April Fools? (1-2) Surprise Storm

Look at this sounding for NW of Charlotte. That is a heavy snow sounding. You will probably never see this again in April...
1554053634594.png

According to a history book on Mecklenburg County, Charlotte received five inches of snow from the April 15, 1849 snowstorm. The S.C. Department of Natural Resources says 6 inches of snow was measured in that storm in Columbia. David Ludlum in his book on Early American Winters says four inches of snow fell in Fayetteville, NC and around six inches of snow was measured near Wilmington, NC. The Mecklenburg County history book account also mentions that it was not until mid-summer 1849 that trees made a "respectable shade." Sounds similar to what happened to the trees after the April 2007 freeze.

Wow that's pretty incredible! I knew there had to be at least one decent April snowstorm in Charlotte, just don't think even over a 125 year record that there's really enough data to pick one up because internal variability is so large.

0.8" being the largest CLT Apr snow from 1895 onwards is likely a pretty weak record for CLT given that 4-5" fell in extreme eastern NC w/ comparable or worse climo as recently as 1989.
April 10-11 1989 NC Snowmap.png

If this happens, it would be still another not occurring during or near a -NAO:

DB6978A8-B886-48BD-958D-55873AEFD126.gif

12Z EPS ? for your viewing pleasure: Charlotte is in sweet spot with mean of 1”, but keep in mind EPS cold bias meaning take this with a grain:
99C00B21-5C67-420F-82CC-213A32905131.png

The stronger the storm the more north it will trend. Watch out blue ridge of NC. I would favor Virginia over SC in a setup like this.

The stronger the storm the more north it will trend. Watch out blue ridge of NC. I would favor Virginia over SC in a setup like this.

By the time it reaches Virginia BL temps will be a major issue for them since it would be later in the afternoon, western NC/ upstate SC has better timing as it would start in the morning and occur with lower nighttime temps, I’d favor areas around 85 and north, Virginia could and will probably see some snow but timing is not on there side as much

That’s another thing, I hope we can get some radiational cooling tommorow night then things cloud up, that would only help out

Back