• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry April Fools? (1-2) Surprise Storm

This band west of Chester definitely has legs and looks like it might get to Charlotte before long, pretty cool to see CC rapidly increase as the band moves thru Chester Co likely indicating a changeover to mostly snow instead of rain/snow.

This band west of Chester definitely has legs and looks like it might get to Charlotte before long, pretty cool to see CC rapidly increase as the band moves thru Chester Co likely indicating a changeover to mostly snow instead of rain/snow.

Yeah that band looks legit, likely some big fat flakes in that one. Those under that band should be in for a nice burst of snow!

Hrrr vs current radar, not to bad, underdoing precip a bit, especially that band headed for CLT
3BB65CBD-05D6-4812-A0BF-C9EBCEEF1FBC.jpeg52F285D2-0E6B-4B06-9F5C-DF0EE2D2A40E.jpeg

The files were too big to load on the forum so I tweeted about it instead and I'll caption it here. You can clearly this heavier band is changing the precipitation over upstate SC from a rain/snow mix to mostly snow with CC rapidly increasing over Chester Co as the band moves overhead. Crossing my fingers here for a big burst of heavy, wet snow

So weird, it was snowing lightly earlier but reflectivity is a little better right now but now nothing is falling ? Stout dry layer

So weird, it was snowing lightly earlier but reflectivity is a little better right now but now nothing is falling ? Stout dry layer

Radar beam height is really high over Charlotte, but I definitely think this heavier band will be enough to push us well over the edge. I don't have anything here yet but it's encouraging to see south & southwest Charlotte pick up snow now.

Still nothing reaching the ground here yet. Really need this band to get here to give me any precipitation whatsoever

The 12z HRRR sounding still showed a bit of dry air right above the surface but that was an hour ago so maybe something will start reaching the ground soon.

1554209939551.png

South Charlotte so far is a sweet spot

The RAP and a few other models yesterday were showing a "bullseye" of snow just south/east of Charlotte. They were overdone a bit on the amounts but it appears they may have been picking up on this as the best area to see some accumulating snow. If the HRRR is right the precip shield should begin to fade the next few hours as the focus of heavier precip starts shifting towards Eastern NC and coastal areas with the surface low cranking up.

Back