• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry April 7 - 8th Mixed Bag Event

I still can't believe this actually happened... Heavy rain changed to heavy thundersnow and thundersleet mixed w/ graupel as far south as Moncure, Clayton, and Wilson in early May 1939, and snow managed to accumulate in Roxboro, Oxford, and Henderson in the middle of the day near high noon w/ a sun angle and insolation equivalent to what we see in August. So much for that sun angle and warm ground temps precluding accumulation. ;)
The big takeaway here (as we've also seen in other storms this year) ground temps, sun angle, etc. are pretty irrelevant if the precipitation is heavy enough and you're encased w/ thick cloud cover.
May 2 1939 NC Snowmap.png

Last edited:
I still can't believe this actually happened... Heavy rain changed to heavy thundersnow and thundersleet mixed w/ graupel as far south as Moncure, Clayton, and Wilson in early May 1939, and snow managed to accumulate in Roxboro, Oxford, and Henderson in the middle of the day near high noon w/ a sun angle and insolation equivalent to what we see in August. So much for that sun angle and warm ground temps precluding accumulation. ;)
The big takeaway here (as we've also seen in other storms this year) ground temps, sun angle, etc. are pretty irrelevant if the precipitation is heavy enough and you're encased w/ thick cloud cover.
View attachment 4980
Would be awesome to see this happen again. This system seems to be similar.

Lol the models still can't pin down the low track or speed. Each run of each model sends it further south and slower it seems. Back down to south or central GA when 2 days ago it was going through the far northern parts of the state.

Lol the models still can't pin down the low track or speed. Each run of each model sends it further south and slower it seems. Back down to south or central GA when 2 days ago it was going through the far northern parts of the state.
Seems it is moving back to where it was before when it had a bigger shot at winter precip for NC.

Although it doesn’t look like I’ll see more then a dusting of accumulation it does look like I’m in a good area to see a number of hours of snow falling from the sky tomorrow. Never thought I’d be anticipating snow this late in the season.

I'm anxious to see how strong this low pressure can get before getting too far away just to see how much cold can get sucked in. Sure is plenty of it available...and fairly close by for April. Hell, actually on the doorstep close by.

Roxboro special incoming!! As long as DC doesn’t get a flake, it will be a win!! Winter 17/18 , fear the southern trend!:D

I'm at a cabin in the Smokies for the weekend. We've got a bit of elevation so I'm liking our odds to see some flakes falling.

Back