• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Severe 4/4-4/6 Severe Threat

Never bet against a low amp wave and west vectored 500mb winds in the south. Especially in April.
What are you thinking about tomorrow.. glen burns is usually a hype master.. and he down playing tomorrow somewhat.

Never bet against a low amp wave and west vectored 500mb winds in the south. Especially in April.
Really makes the difference, those 500mb winds, especially located just south of a warm front, pretty much all of south Alabamas warnings came from that southern split Jetstreams due west vector area that the warm front was ahead of. We were pretty lucky that low level lapse rates were as poor as they were here. Georgia and south Carolina were not as lucky.

You had a few beasts that just wouldn't drop thankfully, that were spinning like a top.

Wondering if this is going to end up being your generational tornado outbreak for the GA/SC area, usually tornado events arent this bad around there. Of course 2021 and 2019 come to mind but for a region wide area, pretty rare occurrence for that area.

I don't know. The Easter 2020 outbreak produced its first ever EF4 IN SC for Charleston NWS WFO area of responsibility. We may have had several just today with Allendale and Ulmer, not to mention the Pembrooke/EllaBell GA tornado also in KCHS area of responsibility. These types of outbreaks just normally don't occur here.

What are you thinking about tomorrow.. glen burns is usually a hype master.. and he down playing tomorrow somewhat.
When I looked at it earlier, lack of helicity will be the biggest inhibitor to tornado chances. But honestly I was up at 4am trying to finish the barn roof before the storms so I haven’t looked too deeply into it.

Really makes the difference, those 500mb winds, especially located just south of a warm front, pretty much all of south Alabamas warnings came from that southern split Jetstreams due west vector area that the warm front was ahead of. We were pretty lucky that low level lapse rates were as poor as they were here. Georgia and south Carolina were not as lucky.

You had a few beasts that just wouldn't drop thankfully, that were spinning like a top.
Kind of backwards today, the time of day helped AL, but hurt GA and SC.

New SPC day 1 outlook:

Biggest change was to add 10% tornado probabilities to south and central Georgia. Otherwise just a few minor adjustments compared to previously.9D35D03C-94E7-4A01-95EC-AE2FC7082BDD.gifAF9F2D4B-4EF7-4A97-B46B-4EFF3AD8E538.gif

Just read the BMX discussion… with so many limiting factors and if/then possibilities, wonder why SPC went elevated risk instead of slight risk today?

Just read the BMX discussion… with so many limiting factors and if/then possibilities, wonder why SPC went elevated risk instead of slight risk today?
I wonder why they have 5 categories instead of 4, especially when marginal and slight mean the same thing, and enhanced is actually greater than moderate. I know WRAL just says level 1 through 5 because of this.

Today looks more like a microburst threat with large amounts of DCAPE/dry air aloft and enough shear for orginization into multicell clusters, sneak peak to summer setup with things being driven by outflow boundaries. Could be a couple rotating cells as low level shear increases laterCF7F35B6-2601-4DA1-A6DD-0848FC59F244.png0D8CCD51-653B-45AD-B469-EFD08FF0D075.pngDD858434-4F96-4979-BDCD-31BB5FD34D57.png16E3740E-3FA6-4574-BA84-5CE497D34CD4.png

Don't see much happening in the central Alabama area today maybe a bit of wind damage.

Only thing I see happening is some nice looking supercells in the sky, good day to be outside watching. May even see a wall cloud ?

Don't see much happening in the central Alabama area today maybe a bit of wind damage.

Only thing I see happening is some nice looking supercells in the sky, good day to be outside watching. May even see a wall cloud ?
Fog and low clouds hanging pretty tough this a.m. wonder if this will have an effect at all in mitigating explosive development. Im still sitting at 65 degrees.

68/67 with a few breaks in the clouds here. I don’t expect much here as any storms should be severe to my south and east.

Back