• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

4/11/20 - 4/13/20 Severe Weather Outbreak

Wow!! That was nuts. I don’t know if there was a tornado or not (no warning where I live) but I know that doesn’t always mean anything. Anywho, saw 2-3 green power flashes and got everyone into a safe spot including me. Probably the windiest I have seen it here in a long time.

CAPE > 1000-1500 j/kg is advancing rapidly into the southwestern piedmont of NC, this is considerably more than what the 3km NAM & HRRR showed yesterday. Not good.
IMO the short term hi-res models didn’t handle this well at all. They kept dropping is below 600 cape and from about 0z runs until now quickly ramped it back up to showing around 1500 here. That line was nuts.

I’m done for the night. Very heavy rain and very strong winds here. Had over 2 inches of rain and probably some 60-70 MPH wind gusts. I even heard a few crashing noises in my backyard. Everyone yet to be impacted by this storm be safe and prayers to all those already hit hard as well as prayers to those who may be hit hard in the coming hours.

I'm very surprised there isn't more rotation in the cells approaching the midlands, considering the environment. I'll take it, though!

Edit: Calhoun Falls cell in GA/SC probably needs to be watched starting now, nothing yet, though.

Well, I somehow woke up and actually saw two tornado warnings close by. I think both would miss honestly...but it's too late, this one feels like it's gonna be loud anyway so I'm gonna need to hang on for a bit to be sure.

Back