• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Severe 3/17/21 Severe Weather Outbreak Al/Ms/Tn/Ar nowcast

Bing...I am very amateur....but I just don't see it....you don't have to look at models...look at storm reports...look at the brief nature of most of the warnings.....Mississippi barely had anything at all....

I’m not saying there’s gonna be a whole outbreak of destructive tornadoes tonight but with highly sheared QLCS you have to watch them, those have been notorious in the past

so if my novice mind understands this, the light blue dashed area is stable, it shows measurements that counteract what we need to have severe storms. referencing top graphic.
Yes however low level shear is increasing, it’s a trade off, more stability in the low levels but higher shear which is bringing enough instability in (LLJ transporting theta-E) to keep a QLCS tor threat

Ooff this one doesn’t have a tornado warning

decc236b5970dd9defb69b864e9dfeac.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FYI, NOCTURNAL jets will be strengthening, both LLJ and the MLJ, which should be more than enough to overcome nocturnal stabilizing forces
This!!! , LLJ is easily capable of bringing in SBcape given the strength, which is why the SPC issued a PDS tor watch

Norman agrees with you. I think it’s too aggressive based on what I see on radar, but who knows.

Forecast Discussion
Day 1 Convective Outlook
NWS Storm Prediction Center Norman OK
0744 PM CDT Wed Mar 17 2021

Valid 180100Z - 181200Z

...THERE IS A HIGH RISK OF SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS ACROSS PORTIONS OF
ALABAMA...

...SUMMARY...
The potential for significant tornadoes continues tonight. Much of
the greatest risk is over Alabama.

...01z Update...

LLJ is strengthening across the central Gulf States this evening
ahead of a strong mid-level short-wave trough that is progressing
into the lower MS Valley. Large-scale forcing appears to be
contributing to an elongated MCS that is growing upscale from
eastern MS into southeastern LA. While this MCS is gradually
maturing, numerous embedded mesos are noted along this corridor and
the strength of the wind fields continue to favor the potential for
supercells. Of more concern are the discrete storms that continue
ahead of the MCS, and the potential for new supercells.
Strengthening wind fields favor tornadoes with this activity. The
primary changes at 01z are to lower severe probabilities in the wake
of the evolving MCS.

..Darrow.. 03/18/2021

This!!! , LLJ is easily capable of bringing in SBcape given the strength, which is why the SPC issued a PDS tor watch

Seemed like there was several tornadoes today but overall not to strong (some did have EF-3 looks per how high debris Went) also not much long trackers, I think a moderate would have been perfect, still not much of a bust imo (maybe in MS could be argued) most of the tors stayed on the south side of the 30-45%

Back