• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Severe 3/17/21 Severe Weather Outbreak Al/Ms/Tn/Ar nowcast

My thoughts:

1: Round one failed because of meager low level helicity. I’ve seen it many times and this is what happens when 0-1km helicity is 150-200. You have storms spin like a top, with little ground truth unless the storm rides a boundary or it strengthens enough to finally get a tornado down for a short period of time. This was pretty well modeled.

2. I believe round two failed because of unidirectional flow aloft. This lead to messy storm modes which also helped work over the area. Most of the modeled helicity was speed shear not directional shear(the opposite happened over AL)This was also well modeled.

3. Initiation of supercells the occurred earlier and speed of the squall line also helped. The past few days had supercell initiation over central AL at or around 21z to 0z, however supercells were being initiated by 11am this morning. Slow them down and the shear increases some, although I don’t know if it changes the event.

4. The CAMs were throwing out warning after warning with the overall lack of UH streaks over the high risk area. These are never fully accurate and bust often, but when models that absolutely love to nuke the area don’t nuke the area, they may be on to something.
Bravo!!! That’s what I was thinking after about 730 last night when things were weakening... I don’t know what all the numbers translate to, but I am learning what they mean! Great explanation!?

It may have busted in the high risk zone, but man it did not for these folks. This has got to be 4+ right?
View attachment 79732

The Chilton county is preliminary strong EF2 last I read. That was probably a doublewide trailer. The only time I chased tornado damage was the next day following 4/15/11 when my wife and I drove to Prattville. The tornado hit a double wide and it was just gone with nothing but the steps left. Unfortunately the person inside was killed. It was rated EF3. Mobile homes provide absolutely no protection in strong tornadoes.

Back