• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Observations 2023 Obs Thread

Officially, We got down to 30F @ WILM (airport), though here IMBY, away from ILM's "Heat Island", , My thermometer read 28F this morning..
As for yesterdays event..

Lotsa VIRGA.. Hardly any precipitation reaching the surface, (ground), (Here) as the dewpoint(s) hovered around between 16% & 20% ..
What did reach the ground, between 10am & 11AM or so was very light White Rain..

As I could see via Hwy 17south
, going/driving towards Wilmington, heaver returns falling from the Sky, As @lizajane opined With Sleet falling in Wilmington & a light Wintery Mix reported via My Daughter just West of Whiteville..

I believe, that, (IF WE), had heavier return(s), We coulda had something "Special",,,,, yesterday.....
As the 850's were , If I recall, were around -5, in the snow growth Layers of the Troposphere yesterday Morning. So yes, It would been entirely precipitation Rate Driven..

Everything in place this time around
, just NOT enough precipitation & that developing Low just a touch to far off-shore the Coast..

SIGH....
Maybe next time, Hopefully We'll get at least one more chance before April..

One EXCELLENT, "Rule of Thumb" to go by here in SENC (South Eastern N.C.)..
DO NOT, expect warm Spring time temps (too stay), & the START of gardening Season,,,,, UNTIL just after Azalea Festival here in Wilmington..

ALWAYS, without fail every year, We'll get one or TWO exceptionable cold, (read freezing) shots of cold temps before or during or the WEEK of Aforementioned Festival.

Sorry for the long winded post, I'm just discussing Climo by My experience, residing here in SENC the last 40+ years.
Oh BTW, Azalea Fest runs here in SENC April 12th~16th

Latest Date for Snowfall in N.C. is April 25th, (If I recall correctly).. Outside the Mountains..

currently 47 with rain, after a low of 46. with rain not ending until 5 or 6 pm, i'm pretty sure we aren't hitting the forecast high of 62 today lol.
53 seems more realistic.

I didn't think that back door cold front was going to get as far south as it did. Woke up this morning with a temp of 49. I thought it would be 10 degrees warmer. But, not complaining.

Smokey here this morning. Someone probably let a burn pile get out of control or something but it's a large area where I've smelled the s one today across most of the county

I didn't think that back door cold front was going to get as far south as it did. Woke up this morning with a temp of 49. I thought it would be 10 degrees warmer. But, not complaining.
Yeah I wasn't expecting it either, 48 felt great on that run this morning

Not sure where the smoke is coming from but it's enough to reduce visibility.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230325_081918_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230325_081918_Gallery.jpg
    488.1 KB · Views: 8
Smoke is from prescribed ag burns....I'm an air quality forecaster and it causes a large spike in our PM2.5 # and has been for days. Most of the fires are to the south of NC but there are some in NC too.
The cold front passed by here overnight and turned our winds to the east and now this story comes out today. The smoke had a definite forest fire smell and this is why.

Back