• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Tropical 2021 hurricane season thread

Gfs is going to be well east, it never really builds the ridge in over top

Edit, I guess it could bend back west or go into the NE but that doesn't seem likely

Edit 2 just disregard everything I've said here lol it's trying to take a hard left at 162

Gfs is going to be well east, it never really builds the ridge in over top

Edit, I guess it could bend back west or go into the NE but that doesn't seem likely

Edit 2 just disregard everything I've said here lol it's trying to take a hard left at 162
Yeah now trying to build the ridge over top, wetter days might be ahead

12Z GEFS has nothing too noteworthy near the SE US through day 10 though some members weakly hint at something in the area in about a week.

Meanwhile, the 12Z UKMET no longer develops the AEW just coming off Africa.

Regarding the AEW just coming off Africa:
So, now the 12Z Euro fully gives in to the GFS and is no longer recurving it in the E Atlantic! Check out the huge difference vs 0Z:

0Z Euro still recurved it early:
vlgkAgy.png

The 12Z Euro says forget the early recurve, I'm going to do what the GFS has been doing from the start! On the 12Z run, it has it at 16N, 32W, vs 20N, 27W, on the 0Z run meaning 425 miles to the SW:

YdF6bRh.png

There's strong 12Z EPS support for the 12Z Euro storm, which is in green and is NOT the AEW just off Africa that I've been discussing. Let's see what % recurve safely:

74Ke1Qy.png

Here's the progression of the 12Z EPS from the above post's day 10 to both day 12 and day 15: this is about as strong support as there can be for one particular storm this far out from one run of the EPS. Whereas there are many in the process of a safe recurve, there are a decent number of those on the left side that would be potential threats to the SE US within a few days later:

Day 12:
CfHI4mo.png

Day 15:
l8imWhD.png

Last edited:
Well, this is the time of year for hurricanes to hit NC. Guess we'll have to keep an eye on next week.

Great visual on how this powerful typhoon "felt" the island and changed course and went around it. Always amazing to see this type of phenomena happen. Unfortunately for that sparsely populated island it kept them in the eyewall instead of the calm of the eye.

I think the disturbance entering the GOM needs to be watched closely. Currently, a minor threat to Mexico and Texas, and Louisiana can't be ruled out either.

Yeah the 12z euro tangled it up with Mexico, the 18z gfs was a little more impressive. Looks like a case where the Atlantic and pacific are fighting for dominance as well
Not in any way to be confused with a comparison to IDA, but like IDA, much will depend on whether the northern portion of the vorticity becomes dominant which would tend to keep further offshore Mexico. By 48 hours, the environment looks pretty decent in the SW Gulf.

NHC has it at 80% in the 5-day now.

And now this:
"
The northern part of a tropical wave is interacting with a surface
trough over the southwestern Gulf of Mexico. The merger of these
features is producing a large but disorganized area of showers and
thunderstorms over the western Caribbean Sea, Central America, the
Yucatan peninsula, and Gulf of Mexico."

Back