• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc 2021-22 Fall/Winter Whamby Thread

For all my Alabama folks good luck on the snow today you guys deserve it I’m even excited for my family members down in Huntsville and especially Birmingham

The ground temp crowd is about like the climate change crowd. You ain’t changing how somebody feels no matter what physical evidence is shown.
@Parker hey buddy I’m happy that y’all in Birmingham are about to see some flakes fly bring it home and good luck on the snow

If I turn the burner on my stovetop on high for 10 days, turn it off for 24 hours, then pour a bag of ice on top of it, the fact that it was 300 degrees just 24 hours before has no bearing on the matter at hand.

If I turn the burner on my stovetop on high for 10 days, turn it off for 24 hours, then pour a bag of ice on top of it, the fact that it was 300 degrees just 24 hours before has no bearing on the matter at hand.
But stoves are designed so that heat isn't insulated when the burner is turned off. The earth on the other hand has a greater specific heat where it takes a lot of energy, or loss thereof to create a change. I don't see how your point would make sense with the context of this storm.

But stoves are designed so that heat isn't insulated when the burner is turned off. The earth on the other hand has a greater specific heat where it takes a lot of energy, or loss thereof to create a change. I don't see how your point would make sense with the context of this storm.
It was admittedly a bit hyperbolic. Obviously if soil temps are hovering around freezing then snow/ice is going to stick quicker. But it’s the last thing southern snow lovers should ever worry about. Lots of other real atmospheric conditions working against us.

It was admittedly a bit hyperbolic. Obviously if soil temps are hovering around freezing then snow/ice is going to stick quicker. But it’s the last thing southern snow lovers should ever worry about. Lots of other real atmospheric conditions working against us.
I've never experienced accumulation with a warm ground; however, I know many have especially in December 2017. We shall see.

Soil temps/marginal temps and bad ratios killed it last winter for me twice with heavy snow falling but we’ll see this time
Yes, bad soil temps and above freezing BL temps absolutely can kill marginal events. Last year’s storm was hampered by this, as was February 2020’s storm. I don’t know why people dispute the impact when the professional meteorologists discuss it during forecasts and case studies. It’s one factor of many, but you better believe it has an impact and should make one be very cautious with the clown maps in a situation like this.

The difference between snow falling at 20F and snow falling at 33F with days of 70F before it is mind-blowing. I love cold storms. It makes a big difference.

Going to be up at 4 am tomorrow to record the changeover. It’s going to be 2+ inches per hour when it switches so I gotta be up to see it.

Back