• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc 2020 Banter Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I've grown up a little bit! I used to be up all night every Friday and Saturday but yesterday by 10:30 it felt late to me ( that's crazy!) went to bed and got up at dawn! Knocking out some studying, then got to change my dad's oil for him, cut the grass, work out, and hike! I've hiked every single day last 4 weeks.

$567 per acre for corn so you really need more the 200 acres to make good enough money. I wonder what the avg field is.
200 acres drop in the bucket out there. Some rows go for miles....they have thousands of acres. Being an old farm boy, I'd love to visit once but not live there.

Gezzz yea if you have thousands of acres you are making a ton of money but damn that’s some hard ass work. I would love it!
Dude they have massive GPS guided tractors and combines that can cover 16 rows or more at a time! The grain business out there is a multi billion dollar industry. I'd love to do that too

The google says the avg size field is 355. That’s around 80k a year. That’s just for corn.
Yeah I think the numbers aren't gonna tell the whole story, the avg size farm is roughly 985 acres but I promise you they farm more than that. Tons of farmland is rented which doesn't show as part of the avg size. Shoot in little ol Halifax County here, avg size farm probably 100 acres or less but I know several farmers who tend 1000 acres or more. Welcome to the farming thread ??

Yeah ever since the 80s here in eastern wake county most farms are leased land . Lots of small farmers gave up because of the ------ circumstance at the time and just leased their land . There’s a handful of very large property owners out here with 1k plus who lease even more in eastern wake , Johnston , Franklin , and Nash counties . Wonder what the largest operations are.

Eastern NC has some massive operations with vast stretches of land .

Yeah I think the numbers aren't gonna tell the whole story, the avg size farm is roughly 985 acres but I promise you they farm more than that. Tons of farmland is rented which doesn't show as part of the avg size. Shoot in little ol Halifax County here, avg size farm probably 100 acres or less but I know several farmers who tend 1000 acres or more. Welcome to the farming thread ??
My family owns a timber farm in South Georgia. All we have to do is hope for no hurricanes and yearly maintenance to bush hog the under brush. It gets cut every 7-10 years. I was given 90 of the 335 acres of pure pollen. If someone every buys the lots I will be a very rich man. ?

My family owns a timber farm in South Georgia. All we have to do is hope for no hurricanes and yearly maintenance to bush hog the under brush. It gets cut every 7-10 years. I was given 90 of the 335 acres of pure pollen. If someone every buys the lots I will be a very rich man. ?
Nice

Despite all the development Wake county still has roughly 122000 acres of farmland, and is 46th in cash revenues from agriculture in the state of NC. In fact, as of 2018 Wake county ranked 12th in the state of NC in acres of tobacco, 16th in us, 10th in NC by market value, and 15th in the US! Agriculture is very much still big business in Wake County, and in fact is the biggest industry in the state of NC, employing 17% of the workforce. A great deal ( well of the handful) of peers who went off to University, specifically NC State majored in some sort of agricultural major. I was consdidering it actually. I may one day pick me some land though and get a little bit of sheep and goats. decent money in that.

I almost moved to the upstate of South Carolina ( yuck) a few years back as my father was working on a large farm/ slaughterhouse.

I'd love to own and operate a large farm particularly sod but the initial investment is so steep.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back