• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

2020-2021 Winter: Early Thoughts

cant blame him... not many people would like it anyways im affraid

If true, that would just add to the bias toward cold winter forecasts. Even Bastardi blew his chance (though predictable) of putting out a warm E US winter forecast.

I think it would be good if SE folks would go ahead and accept that it will very likely be a mild winter instead of fighting off the inevitable for several months. Another mild winter wouldn't kill us. Just accept it and be done with it. If you have good health, be thankful as many don't. Having to endure a mild winter pales in comparison. Otherwise, they are just prolonging the "pain". There are zero indicators of the likelihood of a cold winter. Besides, a mild winter wouldn't mean no winter and it is the most enjoyable season to me, regardless. .Speaking of JB, enjoy the wx as it is the only wx you get!

If true, that would just add to the bias toward cold winter forecasts. Even Bastardi blew his chance (though predictable) of putting out a warm E US winter forecast.

I think it would be good if SE folks would go ahead and accept that it will very likely be a mild winter instead of fighting off the inevitable for several months. Another mild winter wouldn't kill us. Just accept it and be done with it. If you have good health, be thankful as many don't. Having to endure a mild winter pales in comparison. Otherwise, they are just prolonging the "pain". There are zero indicators of the likelihood of a cold winter. Besides, a mild winter wouldn't mean no winter and it is the most enjoyable season to me, regardless. .Speaking of JB, enjoy the wx as it is the only wx you get!
We are far too variable in winter for a mild winter to be boring and without opportunity !

JB is a category 5 clown unfortunately

We are far too variable in winter for a mild winter to be boring and without opportunity !
Winter of 11-12 says hi! You're 20 so you don't remember much about that dumpster fire. Unfortunately winters like that are far more likely to repeat now and ones like 09-10 we'll probably never see again.

Something to think about; usually in a la nina winter cold is focused on the NW US up into western Canada. This cold will come eastward from time to time. Not necessarily southeastward (bad for us). We will probably see lots of storms moving from the Texas area up through the great lakes (bad for us = warm). But the air to our northwest (and at times north) will be cold. We'll probably get at least a few chances of CAD events. Even with a winter that averages above normal we could still score a good (or great) winter storm.

Lol you apparently don’t remember 2011-12 or 2005-06. Utter garbage and boring from start to finish. Got completely shutout in Fayetteville
I very much remember 2011-2012! We got down to the teens in January . That’s what I meant by variable we aren’t going to be shutout of all cold ! Still got lots of freezes.

I have seen posts about how warm the Arctic is compared to this time last year. About twenty degrees warmer or more. Would this weaken the cold air plumes in ml?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Something to think about; usually in a la nina winter cold is focused on the NW US up into western Canada. This cold will come eastward from time to time. Not necessarily southeastward (bad for us). We will probably see lots of storms moving from the Texas area up through the great lakes (bad for us = warm). But the air to our northwest (and at times north) will be cold. We'll probably get at least a few chances of CAD events. Even with a winter that averages above normal we could still score a good (or great) winter storm.

Lots of Great Lakes lows to look at all winter.

Back