• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc Gardening Thread

One of the biggest tomatoes I ever grew, almost 5lbs. That's a watermelon on the left and a regular tomato on the rightView attachment 111113
Have you grown pumpkins? I'm basically in the woods but have enough sun. Deer get after them, but I can fence better. My problem seems to be pollination. Do you hand pollinate? Thanks! I've grown a few but want to try to grow some big ones.

Have you grown pumpkins? I'm basically in the woods but have enough sun. Deer get after them, but I can fence better. My problem seems to be pollination. Do you hand pollinate? Thanks! I've grown a few but want to try to grow some big ones.
Haven't put much effort into growing them but want to.the little I have grown did good

One of the biggest tomatoes I ever grew, almost 5lbs. That's a watermelon on the left and a regular tomato on the rightView attachment 111113
What kind of jumbo tomatoes do you grow? I've grown a couple of German Johnsons that approached a couple of pounds but nothing even close to five pounds. If I'm not mistaken, the smaller tomato looks like a Cherokee Purple which is something I tried for the first time last year. I usually grow Beef Steaks, Better Boys, German Johnsons and a few cherries for salads.

I’m beyond excited for this growing season . I was in the hospital the last one so missed out . Will begin planning and working on it this weekend . Was working on a garden at state as well, part of a community garden club . We had a pine tree fall while working and we made quick work of it to turn into little pollinator hotels !

What kind of jumbo tomatoes do you grow? I've grown a couple of German Johnsons that approached a couple of pounds but nothing even close to five pounds. If I'm not mistaken, the smaller tomato looks like a Cherokee Purple which is something I tried for the first time last year. I usually grow Beef Steaks, Better Boys, German Johnsons and a few cherries for salads.
I think that one was a old heirloom called Hughs. Virginia sweets is a good huge tomato over 2lbs pretty common .

It's about be to be rip mack
I apologize, sincerely! I had a procedure done today, and it’s the residual anesthesia! ??
On the gardening side of things, y’all should see my pumpkins!
Seriously, here’s a new ajuga I saw online the other day, it’s yellow / chartreuse, and I need it!FDE3B96F-FE2E-4A4C-8876-25C623BE461B.png

So Preemergement when are you NC guys laying it down? My lawncare company wanted to spray a few days ago but I've been holding off. They do it twice. I used to do it myself but they prices got to the point that I'm fine with them doing it. But I feel like they don't have a handle on soil Temps the way we do haha.

@SD you mentioned on here one time the best preemergent to use on my centipede grass and when, care to refresh my memory with that free advice sir? Lol Thanks
They got rid of my sunniland at Lowes so the next best but more expensive in my experience is the Lesco 0-0-7 preem. I've been putting mine out between mid Feb and early March. I have very few weeds in the summertime other than a few crabs that appear in August but by then they are already starting to feel fall

Can any of you suggest a good preemergent for a vegetable garden? I have a quarter acre that I have grown vegetables on for the past ten years or so and I'm tired of pulling weeds and hoeing, especially during the summer months. I have tried using different applications to kill weeds but in some past cases, they damage my plants and do as much harm as they do good to my garden.

Can any of you suggest a good preemergent for a vegetable garden? I have a quarter acre that I have grown vegetables on for the past ten years or so and I'm tired of pulling weeds and hoeing, especially during the summer months. I have tried using different applications to kill weeds but in some past cases, they damage my plants and do as much harm as they do good to my garden.
Are you transplanting or growing from seed

Bury it in compost and buy a tiller. Never used any poison for weeds.

Back