• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc 2018 Banter & Venting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think mid January we will start seeing fantastic fantasy storms one after another. We will be breaking records on this site and in our backyards. As you can tell I’m very optimistic.

I agree! I hope/expect to see some nice patterns get modeled as we get into January. I personally will be disappointed if we don’t do at least a little better than the 2nd half of 2015.

I think mid January we will start seeing fantastic fantasy storms one after another. We will be breaking records on this site and in our backyards. As you can tell I’m very optimistic.

Yeah during an El Nino winter, you're essentially playing with house money until mid-late January. Anything you get before then is usually gravy and NC has a ton of gravy already after last week's storm.

2009-10 is arguably a quintessential example of a modern NINO w/ stereotypical +ENSO evolution overall and an early winter big dog in NC (like this year) that was followed by a relative break for a few-several weeks...
December 18-19 2009 NC Snowmap.jpg

Then, all hell broke loose in general from about late January thru early March where having an El Nino is usually the most beneficial to cold & snow around here & we picked up 3 solid events in central-eastern NC to close out the winter.

Classic.
January 29-30 2010 NC Snowmap.gif

February 12-13 2010 NC Snowmap.gif
March 2-3 2010 NC Snowmap.gif

True March isn’t common but I feel like the pattern is great if we still have cold around. February is my favorite because we ATL does great and February storms tend to give me more snow.
The March 2009 storm gave me 4 inches and the March 2010 gave me an inch and every county around Baldwin Bibb Monroe all said they had a trace of snow but us being at the very northern tip of Jones got an inch from it. My mom told me their would be snow at school by the time we got to Gray their was maybe a quarter to half an inch in spots. I knew I should’ve stayed home that day lol

I figure after last weekend you would bring your heat miser avatar back. Lol View attachment 9218
Im back
e6c9c930d86c12f150130c6944e4e83b.gif

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I'll be glad when the Shane Company gets another spokes person or whoever does their commercials. His voice is #annoying

Im gonna say 15 days at most. Always seams the cold periods dont last as long as advertised and neither do the warm.

Larry dropping the reality hammer in the December thread ! That’s why he is such an asset , his statistics are second to none

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Larry has a wealth of southeastern weather knowledge which is quite valuable when looking at the big picture. Anytime there is a NW flow type system on the weather models more often than not it's not going to produce much here. I'm still hopeful we will get in on something good by next month once the pattern favors more blocking.

I got more snow from the January 2018 system than the December 2017 system and I live 24 miles away from Atlanta. :rolleyes:

Same here. We were bullseyed and got 3-4" from that Jan. 2018 system, but what made it worse was the flash freeze of the preceeding rainfall that left behind a thick sheet of ice under the snow. Cars and semi-trucks couldn't even get on/off the I-85 ramps.

Even with full sunshine behind the system, it took a good couple of days for it to all melt and Coweta County had declared a mandatory curfew for everyone but emergency personnel.

Fortunately, for the city of Newnan, it did help (albeit marginally) that they purchased some snow removal equipment after Atlanta's "Snowmageddon" a few years ago, so they were able to treat things faster than they would have been able to otherwise.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back