• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc 2017 Banter/venting thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, I think most ous on the board are just wasting this cold pattern and will walk away with no results. The cold pattern is looking to make a retreat on most models later on after January 5th and I don't see any reason for the southeast ridge not to come back gangbusters possibly when we finally do get a Southwest shortwave and get screwed over. Even if it does manage to get mild and cool back down for us enough to get winter weather that is still out in fantasy land at this point and an eventual warm up seems more likely and the California s/w that some may be banking on can backfire on us and just produce rain. I'm about to throw in the towel. It just seems like a far-fetched miracle that the cold tries to stay long enough to catch up with the s/w in California. If it does the Midwest and NE are more in game because the southeast ridge may come back with a vengeance and there's no guarantee that SE Canada vortex will stay for much longer either. It's probably over for most of us now and we may leave here with nothing with maybe only @Webberweather53 scoring with a big snow storm or @GaWx or @1300m scoring but no one north or west of that who may not have scored back in December and the ATL right within the city and airport hardly scored anything of much worth considering it's 4+ inch and 6+ inch storms of past. Yeah, I'm not feeling to confident we can score when it been this cold for this long and we STILL can't score. We suck.
you are probably right that your area won’t score this winter, Zero zilch nothing. Good grief man how many times are you going to repeat this?

Last edited:
Lots of bitching and moaning going on today I see

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No bitching and moaning from me. I've seen about 13" of snow this year and probably going to experience the coldest temp in my life in a couple days. Best winter ever !

I think we need to have forecasting competitions and the like for temporary titles, ect. Have like a $1 donation entry fee. Maybe also have the same for like how many times Storm 5 says a phrase in winter or something.

Great idea we will put this together and have it ready for after the pattern relax . If you have any further ideas towards this please post them or PM them to one of us . Awesome idea , I can’t wait to beat Webber

Reactions: SD
What is the most snow anyone here has had?
Most snow from storm for me was Jan 2011. Had 6 inches with nice glaze of ice. I was 2 during 93 storm and lived in Ohio still during the super storm.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Most snow from storm for me was Jan 2011. Had 6 inches with nice glaze of ice. I was 2 during 93 storm and lived in Ohio still during the super storm.

We got 9” in Buckhead in the surpise March ‘82 storm. Woke up to it after it was supposed to have been a cold rain overnight. Got another 8” in the ‘93 Blizzard. Never gotten more than 5” from any other storm that I recall.

I was talking to a local here that said back in 78 or so there was a huge snowstorm with snow up to people's roofs.

I was talking to a local here that said back in 78 or so there was a huge snowstorm with snow up to people's roofs.
You still in Indiana? If so could of been referencing the Great Blizzard of 1978 affected the Ohio Valley. My mom has picture of her sitting on a large snow drift when she was young living in Ohio.

Great idea we will put this together and have it ready for after the pattern relax . If you have any further ideas towards this please post them or PM them to one of us . Awesome idea , I can’t wait to beat Webber

You could also do a weather call map competition. Give award titles or avatars for the best and worst prediction.

Now would be a very good time for those who aren't used to using 500mb vort maps to try to look at them and learn as the discussion of the midweek threat happens. Everything at 500mb, from the vorticity streamers out ahead, to the tilt of the trof axis, to the timing is key. Small changes with that stuff can lead to big, (very big) surface changes.

I'm kind of sick of this extreme cold. I feel like I'm stuck in an ice cream freezer.
Maybe by mid Feb, you can get some severe up your way. The way this La Nina has acted this year, who knows!

Now would be a very good time for those who aren't used to using 500mb vort maps to try to look at them and learn as the discussion of the midweek threat happens. Everything at 500mb, from the vorticity streamers out ahead, to the tilt of the trof axis, to the timing is key. Small changes with that stuff can lead to big, (very big) surface changes.

You should post this on the damn banner. We live at 500mb not the surface . Sometimes I’m not sure people understand what’s actually casing surface reflections when watching models roll in .

You should post this on the damn banner. We live at 500mb not the surface . Sometimes I’m not sure people understand what’s actually casing surface reflections when watching models roll in .

This so much...when I first got in this hobby in 2010 I would just look at 850mb temps and precip. Then wonder why that 5"+ snow storm the GFS was throwing around didn't fit the overall pattern lol. Now when model runs come in first pannel I go to is 500mb level and see if the overall synoptic pattern even fits what's being displayed on the surface. Plus qpf and surface always change with each run.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back