• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc 2017 Banter/venting thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't agree, we bantered like crazy in the threads on other board years ago and despite some crazy posts and laughs, discussion was never derailed that much.
I remember back in the t@lkweather days. When things got important Pastor Of Muppets put his foot down many times. To be totally honest though, it was a large Alabama based forum. I noticed more moderation on those from other areas there.

Hey guys, I think most ous on the board are just wasting this cold pattern and will walk away with no results. The cold pattern is looking to make a retreat on most models later on after January 5th and I don't see any reason for the southeast ridge not to come back gangbusters possibly when we finally do get a Southwest shortwave and get screwed over. Even if it does manage to get mild and cool back down for us enough to get winter weather that is still out in fantasy land at this point and an eventual warm up seems more likely and the California s/w that some may be banking on can backfire on us and just produce rain. I'm about to throw in the towel. It just seems like a far-fetched miracle that the cold tries to stay long enough to catch up with the s/w in California. If it does the Midwest and NE are more in game because the southeast ridge may come back with a vengeance and there's no guarantee that SE Canada vortex will stay for much longer either. It's probably over for most of us now and we may leave here with nothing with maybe only @Webberweather53 scoring with a big snow storm or @GaWx or @1300m scoring but no one north or west of that who may not have scored back in December and the ATL right within the city and airport hardly scored anything of much worth considering it's 4+ inch and 6+ inch storms of past. Yeah, I'm not feeling to confident we can score when it been this cold for this long and we STILL can't score. We suck.

People worry too much about banter.
Agreed. I actually don't mind a little banter. To me people are here bc they enjoy discussing weather and sometimes that might veer off from strictly talking about each model run so on and so forth.

It's when the banter becomes annoying ir distracting that is the problem. I also think there is an emotional response, bad model run, someone calls it what it is, someone else is disappointed and they say BANTER!!

I just want us to moderate fairly. We installed the warning system because we feel like everyone deserves a chance to post, learn, grow. I would hate to ban someone who is here bc they are passionate and want to be part of the conversation but aren't that knowledgeable.

We know who the obvious problems are and have been and as a whole we have taken care of it. Have we been lax at times with moderating? Yes, and shame on us but I refuse to turn into other places where I felt like I couldn't post because of the general dynamic.

Just wanted everyone to have see an idea of how I see things, not really directed @Arcc. I do feel like as a whole our community gets along and moves forward very well and most care about its success. To me that's all that we can really ask for

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Hey guys. lots of banter in the main threads. Need some consistency from the top. Lines seem a little blurry like the rules are enforced on some people and not so much on others.

Thanks,
Jimmy H
I've been on cleanup patrol each morning cleaning out the clutter from the discussion threads and now issuing warnings. One warning point is not a big deal. You get 25 warning points before any consequences. We are trying to get folks in the habit of posting quality weather posts in the discussion threads instead of a quantity of one-liners, banter, and venting types of posts. This is especially the case during high traffic times such as during the gfs and euro runs, or as potential threats draw near. It’s pretty painful to have to take an hour to read through 6 pages of posts from overnight for about 1-2 pages of quality posts. We just want you to utilize the banter thread more and consider quality over quantity.

I know that the moderating may look inconsistent at times. We are trying to iron everything out behind the scenes and using the warning points is a new initiative. Over the past month we have just deleted posts or moved them to the banter thread without necessarily notifying the member. I know that at least 5 people received warning points today. We are not mad, nor do we want to make the discussion threads NO FUN ZONES. We are just trying to redirect people’s posting habits. We hope that you understand. If you ever have any questions or concerns, please message one of us directly. We want to be transparent and have a positive line of communication with our members.

Thanks and have a great day!

I've been on cleanup patrol each morning cleaning out the clutter from the discussion threads and now issuing warnings. One warning point is not a big deal. You get 25 warning points before any consequences. We are trying to get folks in the habit of posting quality weather posts in the discussion threads instead of a quantity of one-liners, banter, and venting types of posts. This is especially the case during high traffic times such as during the gfs and euro runs, or as potential threats draw near. It’s pretty painful to have to take an hour to read through 6 pages of posts from overnight for about 1-2 pages of quality posts. We just want you to utilize the banter thread more and consider quality over quantity.

I know that the moderating may look inconsistent at times. We are trying to iron everything out behind the scenes and using the warning points is a new initiative. Over the past month we have just deleted posts or moved them to the banter thread without necessarily notifying the member. I know that at least 5 people received warning points today. We are not mad, nor do we want to make the discussion threads NO FUN ZONES. We are just trying to redirect people’s posting habits. We hope that you understand. If you ever have any questions or concerns, please message one of us directly. We want to be transparent and have a positive line of communication with our members.

Thanks and have a great day!
A thought maybe.... put together a "grading scale/chart" as to post that violate... IMO A personal attack on a post is much worse than say a post that is put in wrong spot... That and when events begin, have an OBS/IMBY/Ground Truth thread... Thanks for all the work y all all do !!!

If this sounds like I'm being sarcastic than I apologize but when someone figures out a system that pleases everyone all the time let me know, I doubt it happens but this site sure tries. I'm honored to be a moderator on here and am especially grateful that that the guys who started and continue to run southernwx are doing all in their power to make this place an enjoyable, relaxed and fun site all while also be extremely informative. It's a delicate dance to say the least and I can personally promise you that any deleted or moved post or any warning point is in no way personal and I guarantee you there are no cliques or biases here. If everyone would sort of self manage and understand that good discussion sprinkled with some banter is going to be just fine, but if you are bantering just know when to pull back some that's all.... oh and by the way all of us admins/mods have real jobs that pay the bills so we can't be on here every minute so some stuff is bound go get through. I appreciate all the input and trust me when I say we listen to it.... now let's reel in a snow storm somewhere and all will be forgotten anyway :cool:

Allan has a series of very interesting posts this AM; too long to post, so here's the link:
https://twitter.com/RaleighWx
It's interesting that he is mentioning possible cold air to return in late January. Maybe it's just me, but something tells me that we could be seeing a winter like last in terms of setup that prevents or slows the effects of the onset of a normal La Nina blowtorch in mid through late winter. Maybe we still have a whole month left of potential after a not too strong warm up.

I'm gonna have the most epic blue balls if this misses just wide right. This low is near record intensity for this area of the world. Very few cyclones ever get this deep south of Hatteras outside the hurricane season
gfs_mslpa_eus_21.png

I just shoveled snow for the first time in my life and I am worn out. I probably would have died had the snow not been a fluffy snow. It was easy to shovel but im still worn out.

A little false hope on the 2-12 threat thread! The weenies and MBY requests are at a quite nauseating level already, for an OBX scraper! Lol

How does everything trend slightly better but we end up with the same crappy result? We need better trends!!

Too far east for for the last storm, too far west for this upcoming storm. It would be funny if by winter's end everywhere else in N.C got at least to climo while CLT only ends up getting a trace.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back