• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc 2017 Banter/venting thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
My parents were, I've heard a lot of stories :)
I consider one of my all-time greatest disappointments to actually be 12/26/2010. I was in Benson literally as the event started Christmas night and drove up to RDU. Benson got 9-11" (based on my sources it was closer to 11) while we got 6".

Where's the Southern Wx in house model? I heard our in house model is way more accurate than the GFS. Lol.

For real though, it would be cool if we had a in house model.

Some people run their own tweaked versions of the WRF and things like that. If we ever did anything like that, we'd likely use raw text output, kinda like what you see when you look at the MOS data or the IPS Meteostar website. It's a daunting process, but technically, we could write modifications and changes taking more biases, such as underdone CAD into account and applying it over the final output... for example.

Between Larry @ Stormsfury (Mike)'s data, we could probably be quite accurate when it comes down to it.

These forecast models are like the Panthers defense, good run suck the next. Get a takeaway and then can't tackle sheesh!!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

These forecast models are like the Panthers defense, good run suck the next. Get a takeaway and then can't tackle sheesh!!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Although right now they are playing like world beaters..... strike my comments for now Lol

What is the point of models past hour 240, nothing has ever stayed the same past 240? I think if they would just stop all models at 10 days, it would save all of us a lot of pain. Could say honestly past day 7 is almost a waste. And this is not a feeling sorry for myself, mad a the model Run post, I’m serious wondering why even have it. Cause I could have rolled a dice with snow on one side, sun and warm on other, cold and sunny...etc and done just the same as gfs past day 10. And I’m not upset just really honestly wondering why. Maybe this has already been addressed before, and if so I will go back and read. Lol

What is the point of models past hour 240, nothing has ever stayed the same past 240? I think if they would just stop all models at 10 days, it would save all of us a lot of pain. Could say honestly past day 7 is almost a waste. And this is not a feeling sorry for myself, mad a the model Run post, I’m serious wondering why even have it. Cause I could have rolled a dice with snow on one side, sun and warm on other, cold and sunny...etc and done just the same as gfs past day 10. And I’m not upset just really honestly wondering why. Maybe this has already been addressed before, and if so I will go back and read. Lol
Yeah I think there's no point in even having models past 10 days since they are so inaccurate. I mean why even look at them ? And yeah if it were up to me the models wouldn't go past 7 days.

My lord some people believe we live in the NE and it should be cold every Christmas. SMH!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah I think there's no point in even having models past 10 days since they are so inaccurate. I mean why even look at them ? And yeah if it were up to me the models wouldn't go past 7 days.
I always torture myself doing it, just wish they would quit running it so I wouldn’t look. Lol it’s like a addiction, just take it away, I know it’s bad, but I don’t have the will power to stop looking. I am the worlds worst about getting hopes up if something shows up more than 2 runs, I just knew we were going to have a good winter storm couple of days ago even though it was more than 10 days away but I got sucked in and I’m getting sucked in again on this big cold after Christmas but I know tomorrow it will be right before New Years and then next weekend it’s coming right after New Years and so on. Ok sorry, not going to beat a dead horse. Lol

I see people are living and dying by model runs again

Last night alabama was getting a Christmas blizzard and now its a heat wave

Lol

I always torture myself doing it, just wish they would quit running it so I wouldn’t look. Lol it’s like a addiction, just take it away, I know it’s bad, but I don’t have the will power to stop looking. I am the worlds worst about getting hopes up if something shows up more than 2 runs, I just knew we were going to have a good winter storm couple of days ago even though it was more than 10 days away but I got sucked in and I’m getting sucked in again on this big cold after Christmas but I know tomorrow it will be right before New Years and then next weekend it’s coming right after New Years and so on. Ok sorry, not going to beat a dead horse. Lol

The longer range ensemble stuff is nice, to recognize possible pattern changes. There are multiple big pieces that can be zeroed in on to have a good idea what's likely to happen.

When it comes to actual events, rain, storms, whatever; I don't get my hopes up past day 5 or so.

The longer range ensemble stuff is nice, to recognize possible pattern changes. There are multiple big pieces that can be zeroed in on to have a good idea what's likely to happen.

When it comes to actual events, rain, storms, whatever; I don't get my hopes up past day 5 or so.
I see your point, I have the problem of focusing on individual events.

Well Non Weather.. But KATL (Hartsfield) is shut down with widespread power outage, Ground stop for all flight to Atlanta, No Departures, planes on taxiways since 1330 local. Over 50 flights that were in the air are diverted to airports throughout the SE

Just to brag about how much snow I received from the storm almost 10 days ago, I had 13 inches officially. I still have an inch maybe two on my back deck this afternoon.
AA7_F64_FE-_EC4_D-4_A56-_A5_DA-_B466393_BCC7_E.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back