• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc 2017 Banter/venting thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Corpus Christi has more snow today than I've seen in 3years. #salty

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
98f.png

I can't stress just how seemingly frustrating it is for all of us in South Georgia/the lower half of SC in terms of constantly missing out on even seeing snow flakes falling.

Sure do. Rode the bullseye of the Euro for like 4 straight days...rain
Yeah, seems like the King is overrated. It is frustrating seeing models showing huge storms but they don't materialize. You'd think by now the technology would be there for the models to be more precise with the actual snow amounts. It seems snow around here is the most difficult thing they have with getting correct.

Yeah, seems like the King is overrated. It is frustrating seeing models showing huge storms but they don't materialize. You'd think by now the technology would be there for the models to be more precise with the actual snow amounts. It seems snow around here is the most difficult thing they have with getting correct.

Models have flaws and biases. If you use your knowledge of local climatology and remember the biases as they relate to your current situation, you can usually make a pretty good guess as to what is most likely to occur Usually, that means disregarding the clown maps and avoid getting excited about being in the bullseye a few days out. It sucks, but that's the way it has been and that's the way it's likely to continue to be for the foreseeable future.

Models have flaws and biases. If you use your knowledge of local climatology and remember the biases as they relate to your current situation, you can usually make a pretty good guess as to what is most likely to occur Usually, that means disregarding the clown maps and avoid getting excited about being in the bullseye a few days out. It sucks, but that's the way it has been and that's the way it's likely to continue to be for the foreseeable future.
Yeah, I know all that. The models bust more than the actual forecasts do. It would be nice if the models didn't have such a hard time getting the amount of snow here right, and you could actually count on them for that. Usually they overdo it like you said. It seems they have a really hard time getting it right for our area most of the time, and just wonder why that is.

Yeah, I know all that. The models bust more than the actual forecasts do. It would be nice if the models didn't have such a hard time getting the amount of snow here right, and you could actually count on them for that. Usually they overdo it like you said. It seems they have a really hard time getting it right for our area most of the time, and just wonder why that is.
It's because models are imperfect and can't model the entire expanse of the atmosphere correctly. When you account for that in context with our location, those imperfections get magnified greatly. But knowing how things typically evolve during a given winter scenario, can help you correct for model errors, to some degree. The models are not that bad, really. We're usually talking about a degree or two making the difference between rain or snow. To expect models to nail that perfectly around here is to be disappointed.

It's because models are imperfect and can't model the entire expanse of the atmosphere correctly. When you account for that in context with our location, those imperfections get magnified greatly. But knowing how things typically evolve during a given winter scenario, can help you correct for model errors, to some degree. The models are not that bad, really. We're usually talking about a degree or two making the difference between rain or snow. To expect models to nail that perfectly around here is to be disappointed.
I know, it is really hard to forecast winter storms here. We are almost always riding the line. I'm pretty sure Greg Fishel once said forecasting winter storms for the Raleigh area was probably the toughest place to do because of our location. I guess we're special.

I know, it is really hard to forecast winter storms here. We are almost always riding the line. I'm pretty sure Greg Fishel once said forecasting winter storms for the Raleigh area was probably the toughest place to do because of our location. I guess we're special.
We are very special!

I guess I'll listen to my Christmas music at work and look out the window at the cold rain.

LOL
namconus_asnow_seus_13.png

Right after this verifies I will pick a winning lottery ticket this weekend
Yeah, that's what I am talking about. You'd think by now a model wouldn't be this bad at showing all that fantasy snow.

I'm not sure what I'm most excited about today...we have our work christmas luncheon, we get our bonus checks, and I'm driving into arguably the best spot in the NC mountains for this storm to camp for the weekend after lunch. This is an epic day!

Hope everyone gets to cash in

I can't stress just how seemingly frustrating it is for all of us in South Georgia/the lower half of SC in terms of constantly missing out on even seeing snow flakes falling.

Knowing the longterm climo of the rarity of getting even just a trace of snow here keeps me grounded and from getting frustrated. I know that since it has been uncommon here for 275+ years, there's no reason that rarity of snow won't continue. Besides, this wasn't even a close call for my area though it has been quite raw since late Wednesday. The good thing about this being rare is that when we do actually see some, it is always very special. :) And that rarity doesn't keep me from hoping (not expecting by any means) every winter to see something pretty.

I cant believe texas and Mississippi was able to get more than one inch of snow and my area is gonna to struggle to get a snowflake. FacePalm

Posts like these make me wonder how angry the forum would be if Phil, Weatherdawg, Stormsfury, and I were the only regular posters to get snow from a future storm like was the case in Dec of 1989.

Posts like these make me wonder how angry the forum would be if Phil, Weatherdawg, Stormsfury, and I were the only regular posters to get snow from a future storm like was the case in Dec of 1989.

What's sad though is Brownsville's climatology is way worse than yours lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back