• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry 2/11-2/12 ULL Magic or More Cold Rain

So we left at 6 AM and the entire drive from Greenville all the way to Maggie Valley was pouring rain. My brother said “ I know you didn’t bring me up here to ski in a rain storm.” LOL It kept raining until we got to the top of the road to Cataloochee and then immediately started puking snow. When we left at 2:30 you could tell the snow line from earlier that morning still had not dropped. This storm was very elevation dependent.
Yeah snow was beautiful up there. Lots of people skiing. Definitely a elevation dependent.

I have a distant cousin who has lived in a cabin in the Sauratown area at Hanging Rock in Stokes County. I'm guessing she has many many stories of what her winter wx is like compared to those down the mountain... a bit jealous I am indeed

You’d have to be pretty damn lucky to see snowflakes in the piedmont over the next couple hours.. these are the type of soundings we’re seeing in and around Greensboro. I suppose high enough rates might be able to help erase this warm nose but i doubt it. Maybe a few lucky neighborhoods. 1676238487330.png

You’d have to be pretty damn lucky to see snowflakes in the piedmont over the next couple hours.. these are the type of soundings we’re seeing in and around Greensboro. I suppose high enough rates might be able to help erase this warm nose but i doubt it. Maybe a few lucky neighborhoods. View attachment 133122
That warm nose is gonna be gone in the next hour, what the biggest issue is, is below 950mb, there’s gonna be no warm nose the the ULL right over you lol

I can't say I'm surprised really. We all knew it would be elevation dependent.
I thought 3k feet would be sufficient but it wasn’t. Needed to be well above that line and even up at 5k feet it was teetering a very fine line. I guess that’s why the snow was so beautiful.

Back