• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry 2/11-2/12 ULL Magic or More Cold Rain

Curious if dp's are at all a factor as it seems like pretty much everything else is out the window with this system? Can anyone tell us if they are higher or lower then was forecast? Thx much!
Hope this helps. I should have followed my own advice instead of
1f32d.png
out. Won't ever happen again with these garbage cutoffs's.

Sounds like wish-casting. Yea, you get snow when rates are high, snow's a exothermic process which means there needs to be a cold air mass to feed cold air from the north. You see the low temps in AVL in the ICON? That's cooling from high precipitation, but will spike above freezing when rates decrease. Yea there's going to be a northwest flow snowfall, but it's not going to be a "crush job".

View attachment 132231

NWS still with a jackpot over Grayson County and another in Wise County. Wouldn't be surprised to see High Knob get over 6 inches. Highest average snowfall in Virginia at over 70 inches.StormTotalSnowWeb_VA.jpg

Beech will find a way to get a foot
I'm going to head that way in the morning at least go to Banner Elk see what's happening. I'm not feeling to good for the house. Looks like the best the foothills can hope for is some backend flakes as the upper low swings through.

Last edited:
I'm going to head that way in the morning at least go to Banner Elk see what's happening. I'm not feeling to good for the house. Looks like the best the foothills can hope for is some backend flacks as the upper low swings through.
I think that’ll be well worth the trip

Check out the wind up on Brasstown Bald! The flakes are zooming past the camera. It is interesting that the RAP doesn't show 850's to be below freezing (4 above on the latest run). Elevation here is 4,780 ft.
Just guessing, but chances are the freezing level there is somewhere around 825-800Mb.

Not to ----...on the snow parade, but how many in the CLT area are ok with not getting a couple of token flakes. Hear me out. Never, in the CLT meteorological database has there been a winter with a shoutout. So, if we aren't going to get a SNOW, like an inch or more...I would prefer to go down in glory. This is a weather forum, so why not historical weather? Flame away....

Back