• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry 2/11-2/12 ULL Magic or More Cold Rain

0z GFS
gfs-deterministic-se-snow_24hr_kuchera-1676073600-1676160000-1676289600-10.gif

gfs-deterministic-se-frzr_total-1676073600-1676160000-1676343600-10.gif

gfs-deterministic-se-sleet_total-1676073600-1676160000-1676376000-10.gif
I did not have power most of the morning today, no thanks on the ice!

There has been pretty consistent modeling showing snow falling in N AL and GA. At least from ECMWF and HRRR.
The euro only has snow for the highest elevations of Georgia. WNC and east TN is the only people seeing consistent run to run consistency and don’t have to fight BL temps. This just isn’t the storm, we needed a perfect track and perfect intensity to get enough dynamic cooling to work outside of the mountains. That didn’t happen here.

The euro only has snow for the highest elevations of Georgia. WNC and east TN is the only people seeing consistent run to run consistency and don’t have to fight BL temps. This just isn’t the storm, we needed a perfect track and perfect intensity to get enough dynamic cooling to work outside of the mountains. That didn’t happen here.
"That didn't happen here" ahh so you've already had the storm? Gotcha!

Sent from my SM-A526U using Tapatalk

This storm hasn't even started for our area and already being wrote off by some like it's set in stone already. Models could easily go back the other way tonight and tomorrow just like they went the other way today. I haven't seen a flake this winter and this is still my best chance yet even if it's dwindling at the moment. It's a upper level low it will do its own thing and can snow in places outside the mountains with the modest of cold air under heavy returns. People will see snow that have wrote it off already. I've seen it before around here several times over the last 40 years.

This storm hasn't even started for our area and already being wrote off by some like it's set in stone already. Models could easily go back the other way tonight and tomorrow just like they went the other way today. I haven't seen a flake this winter and this is still my best chance yet even if it's dwindling at the moment. It's a upper level low it will do its own thing and can snow in places outside the mountains with the modest of cold air under heavy returns. People will see snow that have wrote it off already. I've seen it before around here several times over the last 40 years.
The ones writing it off are the ones that Live and die by Every single Model Run. There's more to predicting weather than just models

I agree. Well said. We did it for years before we had any models. Good luck your way with the storm.
Thanks you too. It will be fun to watch unfold regardless of what falls. ULLs are very Dynamic which makes them fun to watch! I've seen models show nothing on models around here for ULLs, highs in the 50s and by midnight have 5" on the ground! They can do some crazy Stuff regardless of Models. A lot of times Models just cannot pick up on the dynamics of those type systems.

Models aside. This is a very warm upper level low. From the beginning I’ve seen this as extremely marginal more so than usual. So it made me hesitant about this whole thing from the start. But I hope this last ditch hope that could show up in modeling tomorrow does show up cause it would put some smiles on some peoples faces. The meteorology of it all is telling me this won’t be a big deal for many other than high elevations in the mountains and a surprise snow flake or two for others outside of the mountains.

Models aside. This is a very warm upper level low. From the beginning I’ve seen this as extremely marginal more so than usual. So it made me hesitant about this whole thing from the start. But I hope this last ditch hope that could show up in modeling tomorrow does show up cause it would put some smiles on some peoples faces. The meteorology of it all is telling me this won’t be a big deal for many other than high elevations in the mountains and a surprise snow flake or two for others outside of the mountains.
This being a “warm upper low” is certainly why I’ve not favored an expansive area of accumulating snow outside of the mountains, even with some of those crazy model runs the other day. Even still, I won’t be suprised at all to see a localized band that gets maybe a coating to an inch underneath were the coldest core passes… as long there can be some good enough rates there to drag down cold enough air

"That didn't happen here" ahh so you've already had the storm? Gotcha!

LMFAOOOO. Since this is a weather forum and we are suppose to be breaking down the storm with actuals facts, please show all of us one thing that should make anyone outside of western NC and extreme high elevations of North Georgia excited about getting any winter precipitation out of this. And I don’t want, “ULL can do whatever they want, models don’t know everything.” Models don’t know everything but there’s not one showing not only accumulation in SC but now most don’t even have snow flying in this state. I can show everything from warm BL temps, terrible track that puts us on the warm side not only at the surface but above our heads too. Nothing at 500mlb to show any sort of cold source for the ULL to tap into and zero low level cold from the small shot we had at getting CAD established before the storm. Simple fact is we needed a perfect track and perfect intensity just to have the HOPE of seeing snow. When your ULL closes off over Dallas Texas, that put the nail in the coffin here.

You’re just wishcasting and thinking bc it’s an ULL that it has a mind of its own. It has zero cold air to work with. When the NBM looks like this that should tell you all you need to know

1676120797334.png
Please tell us why anyone and honestly that includes the mountains should be excited to see snow.

1676121139714.gifThe dry slot is eating up all the available moisture even in the comma head where the coldest 850’s are. And even there we are only around -2 on average with pockets of colder air at 850, but no rates to drive the snow to the surface. Extreme northern Piedmont and Virginia is about the only spot I could see an “over performer” outside of the mountains. Where you are getting the coldest 850’s and the last of heaviest precip moving out. I’m the biggest snow weenie and will hold out to almost the very end even when trends go from a great Storm opportunity to a dud like all the threats this year. But at some point you just got to face the reality on the wall. I can’t point to a single model that looks good east of the mountains. I don’t want to be the Debbie downer at all, but at some point you just got to realize this one has at best 5% chance to even get snow flying much less accumulating. Just wait until the end of feb when the pattern looks to switch to more favorability for 10-14 days.

I’m just putting this on here to show how absolutely worthless the GFS has become. This was from Tuesday night’s 0z run. At only 102 hours out, the GFS had what would have a widespread significant snowstorm for the entire western 2/3rds of the Carolinas. So going forward when we see the phrase..”if the GFS is to be believed” you can just stop reading.

Attachments

• 671EAB14-1C86-470B-B95C-0A99370D6EDC.png
    671EAB14-1C86-470B-B95C-0A99370D6EDC.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 57
Back