• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry 2/11-2/12 ULL Magic or More Cold Rain

I find it noteworthy that the forecasted forward speed of the 500Mb low crawls across Ga. and S.C. It actually takes the better part of 24 hours to move from the SW Ga. border to the S.C. coast with a near stall over NE Ga. for 6-9 hours.

As I alluded to in an earlier post, the potential is there for this one to really overperform IF the NAM is right on the thermals.

09Z:
1675983990442.png

18 hours later!

1675984042437.png

I find it noteworthy that the forecasted forward speed of the 500Mb low crawls across Ga. and S.C. It actually takes the better part of 24 hours to move from the SW Ga. border to the S.C. coast with a near stall over NE Ga. for 6-9 hours.

As I alluded to in an earlier post, the potential is there for this one to really overperform IF the NAM is right on the thermals.

09Z:
View attachment 132816

18 hours later!

View attachment 132817
What exactly is the reason for the slow movement?? You wouldn’t expect that with no downstream blocking. Is the low in the 50/50 region really working that well?

What exactly is the reason for the slow movement?? You wouldn’t expect that with no downstream blocking. Is the low in the 50/50 region really working that well?
My read is it's a result of its complete detachment from the northern stream, and a response to the deepening coastal surface low.

I’m in Lenoir and feel like the adjacent foothills are bordering on an impactful event so close. Probably won’t know until go time. These upper lows always surprise you. March 09 was sickening in this area

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m in Lenoir and feel like the adjacent foothills are bordering on an impactful event so close. Probably won’t know until go time. These upper lows always surprise you. March 09 was sickening in this area

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I remember that satellite picture the day after that storm and you could see that strip that of bare ground while areas on either side had a few inches. I know that had to be frustrating

3k NAM is really good at sniffing out warm noses

View attachment 132818
View attachment 132819
The 3K NAM is much further north into Alabama with the 500Mb low than the 12K NAM.

nam3km_z500_vort_seus_61.png

namconus_z500_vort_seus_45.png

She's a fickle little beast.

The cliff note is the further west the track of the 500Mb low tracks, the further west the best snow will fall. A boulder of salt on both models at this range is in order too.
especially the 3k being at the end of its range but it is really good at this warm nose stuff.

Back