• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry 2/11-2/12 ULL Magic or More Cold Rain

If I were in your shoes the only thing that would really concern me about the NAM is that it's artificially collapsing the cold from the top down by being over amplified and too heavy with precip. That may not be the case but keep it in mind
True, but even before the cold pool moves in the NAM is way stronger with 925mb cold air supply. If you click on soundings pretty much everybody is well below freezing at 900-950mb Saturday night even with a well above freezing raging warm nose above that.

If that low level cold air feed is real on the NAM it has big implications for snow reaching the ground and sticking when the cold pool moves over head Sunday morning.

Of course to some degree I think the stronger/more amped solution of the last NAM run goes hand in hand with strengthening that 925mb low level jet so it makes sense... but the NAM has been better/colder with it even on the runs that had a further Southeast and weaker low solution.

really like this one for the most part if you're in the mountains or have any sort of decent elevation, and should be a nice sugar rush for the ski resorts. these ratios will probably suck no matter how you cut it so take a solid 30% off or more off those snow maps

also don't discount whoever is directly below the cold core- that's where you'll find your surprises (ie atlanta picking up a slushy 2 or something like that)

for everyone else, don't think this is the storm for you, good luck next time (or next year)

I'm probably stuck with heavy rain while the western part of the county may get in on some heavy snow. But definitely Fancy Gap will do good at 2000 feet. I would be happy if I could just see some huge snowflakes mix in, that would be a win in this awful winter!

Euro is very close to having an all snow sounding from start to finish in the Northern Upstate. The weaker solution keeps the 700-800mb warm nose at bay before the cold pool moves. It's sketchy at best with the early precip out of ahead of the low with a near isothermal sounding all the way up to 700mb, but interesting none the less.

I'm probably stuck with heavy rain while the western part of the county may get in on some heavy snow. But definitely Fancy Gap will do good at 2000 feet. I would be happy if I could just see some huge snowflakes mix in, that would be a win in this awful winter!
Come on now frosty you've said this before and always come out ok. You'll definitely see some backend flakes Sunday morning.

IN NC, all the accumulating snow will be 77 and West, anyone east of there may see some flakes for a time but no accumulation IMO. Far western SC and a small part of N Ga has a shot too

Really not much disagreement with the 500mb low placement now. They just disagree a bunch on the strength/temp/precip details.
Euro is the furthest S/E model now.
View attachment 132781
an issue is that there's not a single place with a lot of room for error since the preceding airmass is so mild

1675969162232.png
even on the colder GFS, this is not a sounding that inspires confidence for boone as things roll in. any adjustment to a weaker ull pushes this setup to even more marginal and narrows the snow window for a lot of folks.

just trying to keep expectations in line, even for the mountains we're going to be dealing with a lot of crosswinds (figuratively... and literally?) while trying to land this plane

True, but even before the cold pool moves in the NAM is way stronger with 925mb cold air supply. If you click on soundings pretty much everybody is well below freezing at 900-950mb Saturday night even with a well above freezing raging warm nose above that.

If that low level cold air feed is real on the NAM it has big implications for snow reaching the ground and sticking when the cold pool moves over head Sunday morning.

Of course to some degree I think the stronger/more amped solution of the last NAM run goes hand in hand with strengthening that 925mb low level jet so it makes sense... but the NAM has been better/colder with it even on the runs that had a further Southeast and weaker low solution.
I actually hadn't looked at the NAM sounding for your location but after doing so this shot of WAA with the initial surge of lift is not what you are looking for as its likely to warm the 825-875 layer until the +2-4 range. Move this 50 miles to the SE toward the euro suite and you are golden otherwise it's rain/IP even with the colder 925snamconus_temp_adv_fgen_850_seus_fh57-69.gif

1676311200-Kom7fvMdVpg.png

Back