• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry ❄The Christmas Miracle❄(12-24/12-25)

Definitely gonna have to watch for mini lake effect snow bands downwind of area lakes east of the mtns in NC. Absolute instability in the boundary layer all the way up to the DGZ coupled w/ any additional moist entropy input from large lakes and you'll probably end up seeing some snow bands setup shop in places like the NC-VA border east of lakes Kerr & Gaston (near @metwannabe).

1608901359401.png

The general rule of thumb for getting lake effect snow in environments like this is to have 850 temps of at least -10C or lower and we'll certainly have that today in the Carolinas. Perhaps even some lake effect snow for some of our friends in the midlands of SC downwind of Lake Murray too?

1608901508205.png

Definitely gonna have to watch for mini lake effect snow bands downwind of area lakes east of the mtns in NC. Absolute instability in the boundary layer all the way up to the DGZ coupled w/ any additional moist entropy input from large lakes and you'll probably end up seeing some snow bands setup shop in places like the NC-VA border east of lakes Kerr & Gaston (near @metwannabe).

View attachment 60183

The general rule of thumb for getting lake effect snow in environments like this is to have 850 temps of at least -10C or lower and we'll certainly have that today in the Carolinas. Perhaps even some lake effect snow for some of our friends in the midlands of SC downwind of Lake Murray too?

View attachment 60184
That's very interesting. Does that include lake norman? I know I've asked brad p about lake norman lake effect snow and he said it's impossible

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

View attachment 60183

View attachment 60184

First time seeing it off lake Jordon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

View attachment 60183

View attachment 60184
Can Jordan lake produce?

That's very interesting. Does that include lake norman? I know I've asked brad p about lake norman lake effect snow and he said it's impossible

Interestingly enough, for the past few runs. The HRRR has consistently have a band set up in northern Mecklenburg county in the Lake Norman area.

Interestingly enough, for the past few runs. The HRRR has consistently have a band set up in northern Mecklenburg county in the Lake Norman area.
I have not been looking at the HRRR at all. I saw that the rapid refresh had something similar to that

Can Jordan lake produce?

It's doing it now.

1416ff8f26809f6955a7118943d0d35c.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rapid refresh forms two solid bands of snow this afternoon. While I am in the middle of the two getting shafted this looks interesting for many areas in nc
03725edfb6ee1d34021155a7e6e25bd1.jpg

Back