• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry ❄The Christmas Miracle❄(12-24/12-25)

0z soundings should come out in the next 2 hours or so this evening, I really need to see those to be 100% sure if the NAM or HRRR is handling this upper low properly as it pertains to NC’s snow prospects. It looks like sfc obs and radar are supporting the HRRR I just don’t want it to be a mirage either lol.

This will be a good test for the new HRRR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So to be clear, this afternoon's snow was "anafrontal" (the new apparent buzz word) and that was picked up by basically the GFS and Canadian. The HRRR verdict is yet to be determined because it was on the upper level feature, correct?

So to be clear, this afternoon's snow was "anafrontal" (the new apparent buzz word) and that was picked up by basically the GFS and Canadian. The HRRR verdict is yet to be determined because it was on the upper level feature, correct?

Yes this was an anafrontal snow because the precip occurred behind the cold front. GFS sort of picked up on the anafrontal. As far as the HRRR, they're referring to if the HRRR handles the upper level low diving down over the next several hours well and if that translates downstream to the Carolinas.

Yeah, back in the day we just called it rain changing to snow behind a cold front. Now it has a fancy term. ?

Back