• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry ❄The Christmas Miracle❄(12-24/12-25)

Yeap I was at NCSU at the time around 96 or so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I recall some convective snow bands that moved through Raleigh at the end of November while I was at NCSU. Think it was '08 or '09. Must have been around Thanksgiving as thr campus was a ghost town and I was walking to the library. Had a few quick bursts of snow where the sun came back out between each burst and temps were around 40 so nothing stuck.

NWS RAH doesn't seem too excited around here. WRAL hasn't mentioned snow shower potential for tomorrow either.

From NWS RAH...
"Highs will occur in the morning (with steady of slowly falling
temperatures, even with skies becoming mostly sunny in the
afternoon. Highs in the 30s to lower 40s. Clear and very cold
Friday night, lows 15-20 NW-N and 20-25 SE."

They should probably mention potential for flurries and no accumulation, but maybe their primary focus is the severe wx today. I bet they do when the disco is updated this evening and WRAL starts mentioning it later..

I recall some convective snow bands that moved through Raleigh at the end of November while I was at NCSU. Think it was '08 or '09. Must have been around Thanksgiving as thr campus was a ghost town and I was walking to the library. Had a few quick bursts of snow where the sun came back out between each burst and temps were around 40 so nothing stuck.
I remember those as well in 08

Many years back, we had some convective snow bands come through the day after a storm. It was very impressive. It would darken up, snow (big flakes) for 20 minutes, stop, and then the sun would come out. It did this three or four times.

I used to live in western WV back during the mid 2000s and we used to get a lot of convective snow showers during NWF and clipper events. You’d usually have a number of days during the winter which would go sun -> heavy snow -> sun -> snow -> sun, etc. Often there would be a dusting, at best, with this (that would melt when the sun came out again), but on rare occasions we’d make out with a bit more. They honestly get a bit old when you experience them all the time (given getting more than a dusting that doesn’t instamelt is so rare), but when you don’t (like around here), they can be fun. Just keep expectations at 0.

Last edited:
I used to live in western WV back during the mid 2000s and we used to get a lot of convective snow showers during NWF and clipper events. You’d usually have a number of days during the winter which would go sun -> heavy snow -> sun -> snow -> sun, etc. Often there would be a dusting, at best, with this (that would melt when the sun came out again), but on rare occasions we’d make out with a bit more. They honestly get a bit old when you experience them all the time, but when you don’t (like around here), they can be fun. Just keep expectations at 0.
Flurries would be a win.... If I remember right, we didn't get much accumulation. But it was really pretty when it was coming down. Of course with each band, I would hope it kept going (which it didn't).

Flurries would be a win.... If I remember right, we didn't get much accumulation. But it was really pretty when it was coming down. Of course with each band, I would hope it kept going (which it didn't).
I wish those kind of convective bands could happen at night as that’s when they could really add up without the sun sizzling all the snow away in between showers, but given their nature, they need the sun to fire up. :(

Back