• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry ❄The Christmas Miracle❄(12-24/12-25)

Low of 5 this morning. High was predicted to be 38 but only made 30. Snow cover just does work on temps. Back down to 28 with the sun behind the mountain since around 4:30.

KhVmJ9.md.jpg
KhVtlS.md.jpg
KhVDU7.md.jpg
KhVLil.md.jpg

Thanks all for the great commentary and analysis the past few days. A White Christmas is a rare treat for many of us. We only had a light dusting at my house here by Lake Lanier in NE Forsyth County (Ga.), but the mountains of North Georgia got a decent snowfall.

I thought I'd share some pics I took yesterday and today. Mods, please move if there is a better place for this. Thanks again all, and hope all y'all had a very Merry Christmas!

--30--

Intersection of Ga. 306 and Ga. 400, 6:20 a.m. Christmas morning
IMG_5373.jpg

Looking north from Dahlonega, 9 a.m. Christmas morning
IMG_5401.jpg

Ga. 60 north of Dahlonega, 8 a.m. today (Saturday, Dec. 26)
IMG_5422.jpg

Ga. 180, between Suches and U.S. 129, 8:30 a.m. today
IMG_5448.jpg

Vogel State Park, 9 a.m. today (car thermometer read 15 degrees, FWIW)
IMG_5454.jpg

View of mountains NE of downtown Blairsville, 1 p.m. today
IMG_5473.jpg

I went to check on my boat yesterday and it looks like the snow stick line was at 1250', and Pickens and Gilmer counties had anywhere from an inch to two inches.

Engelheim vinyards

IMG_4218.jpg

Carters Lake looking northeast toward Stover Mountain (3820')
IMG_4217.jpg

Lake level at 1074'
IMG_4214.jpg

This event solidly brought my winter to an A. Surprise white Christmas that wasn’t in the forecast and 1” of snow fell then froze solid. Very lucky the cold air chased the moisture east of the mtns. Winds gusts over 45mph with heavy rain and transitioned to blizzard like conditions for a few minutes. Kinda surprised the wind even rushed in that quick during the transition and not after the snow was done.

Back